Socialite Rose O'Neal Greenhow was a surprising spy for the Confederacy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/socialite-rose-oneal-greenho.html

“ n 1862 after an espionage hearing, she, with her daughter “Little Rose”, was imprisoned for nearly five months in Washington, D.C. Deported to the Confederate States”

Huh - they should have hanged her.

4 Likes

I am not sure why, but my patience for celebrating traitors is about f’ing gone.

9 Likes

It didn’t turn out well for her [SPOILER ALERT], as she drowned when trying to out run a Union Patrol Boat while returning from a diplomatic trip to the UK.

2 Likes

We’re all going to die of something. But she wouldn’t have died on that mission if she was kept in prison till the end of the war.

4 Likes

Why is BoingBoing celebrating pro-slavery fanatics?

7 Likes

“…we’ll describe Greenhow’s courage and resourcefulness…”

To say the very least, that is a weirdly disingenuous and distasteful way to talk about someone who was a spy for the pro-slavery side in the Civil War.

Why not “describe” the “courage and resourcefulness” of Nazi spies in the Second World War as well?

Abhorrent.

7 Likes

What the fuck?

4 Likes

Maybe this “BB Contributor” was thrown by the Plucky Heroine trope?

4 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

Doubly so, since if the Confederate Army had caught, say Harriet Tubman, she would have been tortured and hanged, no doubt.

Well, she was white, so… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Hey, she’s dead now, so let’s harrass all of her surviving descendants.

(This is a joke, in case you thought I was serious.)

Well why not? Neither courage nor resourcefulness are moral attributes, any more than strength or speed or intelligence.

1 Like

Suggest it to the FC team as a topic for a future episode then.

Or better still, do it yourself.

“Well why not?”

Seriously boingboing?
I thought you were better than this.
This woman was working to keep Black Americans Enslaved.
ffs!!!

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade. It sounds like you’ll fit right in.

1 Like

Lack of interest would certainly be a factor.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.