Solutions and maps to classic text adventure games

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/05/solutions-and-maps-to-classic-text-adventure-games.html

4 Likes

The one that drove me crazy was Kabul Spy. Right at the end there was a gate you had to open/lift/unlock/some other logical verb, but the only command the game would accept was “reset”. I forget how I finally found out to use this completely unintuitive verb at the time, but it was such a relief finally completing it

4 Likes

Nothing made me rage quit a text adventure faster than a goddamn maze

8 Likes

(‘The Oregon Trail’)

5 Likes

My very first was Zork (or was it actually Advent?) running on CP/M. That had to be 1982 or 1983.

“You are in a maze of twisty little passages all different.”
“You are in a twisty maze of little passages all different.”
“You are in a little maze of twisty passages all different.”

8 Likes

This is my epitome of a text game that cannot be solved without a clue book:

And that cost close to $40 back in 1986.

2 Likes

I played so, so many of these back in the day. Never completed one! From “Savage Island” to “Price of Magick” through to “The Pawn” they took a mix of logical and lateral thinking I never had. And I loved it!

Always typed in swear words just to see what happened (“The Boggit” by Delta 4 was particularly imaginative for using one scatalogical word as a command but only in the bathroom).

Still kicked the Princess with the Spikey Boots in “The Pawn”.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Nice newsletter and book on the subject

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.