Some hotel room doors can easily be unlocked with a piece of paper

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/26/some-hotel-room-doors-can-easi.html

6 Likes

Piece of paper…or Ghost Knife?

4 Likes

that’s great. thanks for posting! now i will never get my wife to stay in an hotel ever again.

5 Likes

Just bring a bucket of rocks, you’ll be fine.

29 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

the only way to stop a bad guy with a piece of paper … is a good guy with a piece of paper

11 Likes

…but it’s a subpoena.

6 Likes

Pieces of paper can unlock many things.

28 Likes

6 Likes

Remind me to never stay in a hotel again try that trick the next time I’m in a hotel…

8 Likes

Would that trick still work if the deadbolt have been activated?

5 Likes

In my experience those only unlock low to mid range hotel rooms.

6 Likes

Not with standard deadbolts. If low-budget hotels were to skimp on deadbolts by using a second standard latch, however…

1 Like

Well okay then eh…

6 Likes

Terrible. Imagine what you could do with the burger menus.

5 Likes

It doesn’t look to me like the deadbolt was engaged which I think would prevent this from happening.

2 Likes

I don’t even want to think about it.

Aha! :joy:

1 Like

The mortise lock obviously needs repair or relubing, not uncommon where they have lots of airflow to dry out and harden the internal grease. The deadlatch assembly is not deadlocking the beveled latch like it’s supposed to when the strike on the frame depresses the deadlatch. It’s one of the first things I check when entering my new hotel room.
There are also tools that slide under the door to pull down the inside lever handle and open the door even if the deadbolt is thrown.
Hotel room safes aren’t secure either. Some of them you can beat with a strong magnet; others can be beaten by looking up master codes for the model of safe online.

5 Likes

That’s silly, everybody knows that paper defeats rock. What you need is a bucket of scissors.

11 Likes