Some of my favorite movie sword fights

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/30/some-of-my-favorite-movie-swor.html

7 Likes

Yeah. Probably my favorite is Wesley vs Inigo in PB

18 Likes

Say what you will about 300 (you’re right) but those sword and shield battles are visceral.

I’ve been squirreling away notes, sketches and schematics for a small, tight, sword-and-shield-focused video game for years now, and watching these clips makes me want to dive back in.

11 Likes

The Adventures Of Robin Hood or gtfo.

9 Likes

Speaking of movie sword fights:

Light saber fighting styles are completely wrong. Just getting merely touched with one can be debilitating and even fatal. All these big wide swings out of HEMA and kendo is nonsense when the weapons lend themselves perfectly to fencing styles.

6 Likes

In college, the fencing instructor called me oafish and unrefined, then sent me over to the boxing club.

21 Likes

I lacked scientific rigor for boxing. They gave me a stick and told me to run at the enemy.

11 Likes

If you did it with vim & vigor, then you did it well.

8 Likes

Well… Vinegar.

7 Likes

Count Dooku - only person with a lighsaber with a fencing grip, but that’s Christopher Lee for you.

As for metal swords in fights, may I offer this from The Count of Monte Cristo?

13 Likes

That works too. Your day of triumph is at hand!

5 Likes

Lee was the only one in the movies to use a curved hilt. Jedi don’t “fight dirty” with modified grips that come in at an unexpected angle.

3 Likes

That is all.

23 Likes

This was a highly under-rated movie, and one of my favorite romantic novels.

9 Likes

Inigo vs Wesley PB is the most amusing swordfight of all cinema
Robin v. Sir Guy in Adventures of Robin Hood 1938 is the classic that defines them all

Honorable mentioned:
Toshiro Mifune at the end of Yojimbo laying waste to an entire gang + a guy with a revolver.

Jason vs. skeleton warriors in Jason and the Argonauts

John Phillip Law v. Tom Baker in Golden Voyage of Sinbad because of the ingenious way an invisible swordsman is defeated

15 Likes

Sorry. You’re all wrong. This is the best. Period:

21 Likes

YES!!

Also, Toshiru Mifune, was Yojimbo the movie where he asks the carpenter for two coffins but strolls back after the fight and says something like “My mistake, make it three”?

10 Likes

the blind swordsman zatoichi

AbandonedScaredBeetle-max-1mb

15 Likes

Came here to post this! The taunting, swift, skilled Tim Roth vs the lumbering, determined, exhausted-in-the-first-2-minutes Liam Neeson.

It’s an absolute masterpiece.

15 Likes

Oh. Also Beatrix vs O-Ren Ishii is great just for the music.

17 Likes