Swordfighters "pushing swords" is hogwash

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/27/swordfighters-pushing-swords.html

5 Likes

P.S. Remember that Lloyd is great at swords and stuff but … don’t go to his website. Shhh. Shhh. Just don’t.

10 Likes

But I have a secret too. I’m not left handed either!

12 Likes

Inconceivable!

12 Likes

I’ve liked learning about swords and stuff since I first saw Lindybeige’s video on how crap the katana is. From there, I learned about why double-bitted axes are stupid, the best way to use a spear, and how the way movie archers use longbows is silly. But listen to Rob, and don’t delve further than medieval warfare. Eesh.

5 Likes

Is it a Star Wars invention? That’s the first place I noticed it.

2 Likes

If you steer clear of “opinions,” his website is… mostly acceptable. On the other hand, if you respect a person (or don’t) on the basis of their opinions…

Yeah, his sword videos are fun, though.

3 Likes

Of course told not to do something, I did, out of curiosity more than perversity. To save anyone else who doesn’t want a reason to feel a slight bit more morose, I’ll give an example of his opinions.

He thinks women should stay at home so men can have jobs. As he works up to this he makes some points familiar to the left, like the idea that jobs and work are fulfilling appeals mostly to those with the good fortune or power to have satisfying jobs, so this doesn’t apply to a lot of women, who would only leave the house for a miserable job of necessity. But he finishes up with rancid old ideas about the Nature of Men and Women.

I didn’t keep reading. So I don’t know if he managed to work around to the idea that some jobs are in their nature alienating and that we need some sort of wholesale revaluation of labor and reconsideration of hierarchy and value. I suspect he doesn’t.

Good point about the swords though. That’s some information I can really use the next time I want to sound smarter than the dumb movie I’m watching.

tl;dr - Lindybeige is a cheerful reactionary.

10 Likes

Like I’d take seriously an opinion on one of the finest fighting weapons ever created by someone whose username has the word ‘beige’ in it!
#rollseyes

3 Likes

I wonder what Hollywood movies would look like if it was accepted that anybody who knew what they were doing would be fighting with a bow and/or spear?

6 Likes

You want some real fun, take a look at the one about the Holocaust. He believes it happened, but he takes prescriptivist linguistic offense at the use of the term “Holocaust” for this event. For… reasons?

11 Likes

This situation too

6 Likes

8 Likes

It really doesn’t work with light sabers. Rather than pushing, all you have to do is backup, then switch off your light saber and… Wait, what was the next part?

5 Likes

I occasionally watch his history and weapons videos. Fun stuff.

Shadiversity i think does a good job on weapons.

The spear and pole arms in general are underappreciated in movies.

4 Likes

It just isn’t a John Woo bullet opera without that scene in it.

5 Likes

Carry a blaster, lock sabers, and shoot the guy in the face.

Oh no, it is much older a trope of swash buckling movies and theater duels.

2:29 has a great example

at 0:37 is an example and at the end is a similar move.

2:50 and 3:08

5 Likes

The Roman Empire was built on spears! The weapon kind, not the Britney kind.

5 Likes

Basil Rathbone was an amazing “bad guy swordsman”!

11 Likes

Didn’t their tactics depend on the gladius, the short sword (and rotating people out of melees)?

The Greek phalanx depended on spears.

6 Likes