Some of my favorite movie sword fights

Goemon FTW.

9 Likes

Monty%20Python%20GIF-downsized%20(22)

27 Likes

The Conan fight was awesome (in part) because the dudes he was fighting were basically a Hair Metal villain and someone who looked like that one guy from Abba but with huge muscles.

5 Likes

Oh god! I totally forgot. I withdraw my previous post. You win, hands (well, arms and legs) down!

3 Likes

The Animatrix.

2 Likes

I always thought he looked like Tim Conway having a daydream in a gym.

3 Likes

Blink and you’ll miss the trick he learned in Princess Bride:

8 Likes

I like John Ritter’s sword fight in Stay Tuned. At work so I’ll have to see if there’s a clip for it online later

2 Likes
3 Likes

Rathbone was praised by the fight choreographer for Zorro for being the only actor who actually took the time and trouble to become a seriously competent swordsman. It shows.

8 Likes

The product of grueling labor, as one might expect.

The scene is likewise described in the book with elaborate references to fencing techniques.

No doubt you followed closely the news of Stephenson’s escapades?

The main thing I remember about that film was, “Well, gee, all he had to do was push the blade aside and stab him. Guess they didn’t think to do that earlier.”

4 Likes

The big duel in Sword of the Stranger.

2 Likes

The Governator is most remembered for his role in Twins with Danny De Vito

:thinking:

4 Likes

Curious that your Conan the Barbarian link has the 2011 Conan depicted as the link image but ‘classic’ Conan (1982) is what the video goes to. …yep. In any-case: 1922 Three Musketeers

2 Likes

The first fight in the 1948 version of The Three Musketeers. Gene Kelly was the best d’Artagnan.

1 Like

That’s right. Omitting this is a (sword) ‘fight me’ level offense.

3 Likes

Technically, a lance, not a sword battle, but one of the epic best of all time without a doubt.

1 Like

Hell to the yes.

3 Likes

Came here to see if someone had mentioned this.

This is such an under appreciated gem of a film. I finally sat down and watched it with my wife about a year ago, and it’s just incredibly excellent on every level.

For the record, it’s still the film that HEMA people point to as being one of the most authentic in it’s choreography, and it’s over 40 years old.

Just absolutely a wonderful film. Keitel and Caradine are both amazing. The acting is great, the set pieces are cool, the story is interesting, and the combat sequences don’t have a comparison.

4 Likes

That’s what makes it one of my faves…

3 Likes