Some SSDs lost data faster than expected when powered off

[Permalink]

The IBTimes link is missing.

Are they a legit source? I had always lumped them in with wikihow, about.com, and other SEO-over-content sources.

2 Likes

Yeah, the first link is missing for me. Regardless one doesn’t choose SSDs for enterprise for long term cold storage of data. One chooses SSDs for performance (they’re much faster and more expensive than spinning disks). Additionally hardware failure is a common occurrence across the board. If your enterprise data isn’t backed up (probably in multiple geographic locations) then you’re just playing dice with your hardware and/or cloud providers until it goes down. Assume every system will fail and plan for it.

1 Like

Just keep in mind that when they say ‘Enterprise SSD’ they don’t mean a Samsung 850 Pro, for example. That’s still a high end consumer drive. They’re talking about super expensive super specialized server SSDs that are optimized for speed and IOPS (I/Os per second). One consequence of the faster speed is that the data is more volatile - or vice versa depending on how you look at it.

People who use these already know and would never use them for backup (what a $$$ waste, besides the data volatility). They use high capacity tapes.

1 Like

I think they are more or less the mainstream conservative Huffington Post.

2 Likes

That’s brutal, man. Brutal.

2 Likes

Link: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/1500402

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.