Someone is setting fire to black churches in Louisiana

Everything old is new again.

4 Likes

Ah I think that’s what’s happening. The parish is St. Landry’s parish which also sounds like it could be the name of a church, but it isn’t, it’s equivalent to the county name. I’m pretty sure the perpetrator is in the parish, but may or may not be a parishioner.
Speaking of church fires… another one this past week. Someone set two Mormon churches on fire and wrote “Satan lives” on them. It was just a mental health / drugs / etc situation, not a hate crime, and also btw not connected with Satan as far as authorities know. Just saying, there’s lots of things it could be. Fortunately I’m pretty sure we’ll find out soon.

The history of burning black churches in the south is long and sordid. We will probably see who did it, but I suspect we already know the why.

10 Likes

The one’s in St. Landry’s likely are a hate crime, so stop denying that. You’re denying history here.

12 Likes

not i. i am quite familiar with louisiana, not so familiar with - at the risk of repeating myself - saying that the burning of multiple churches in separate areas is something happening “in” a community rather than “to”

heck even the whole “in this community” part was completely unnecessary and seems like it unconsciously “others” a bunch of people who probably don’t even know each other

4 Likes

Possibly. My feeling from watching the video of the preacher was that he wasn’t sincere in his protestations. But who knows, it could be.
The Highland center thing on the other hand… far more believable to me as a hate crime. What’s the difference? There was an obscure far-right symbol involved, something that only people in those circles would know about. They would use a symbol like that specifically to get people to do searches and click to their sites. They are savvy about strategies like that. And the Highland center probably has a higher profile than those very small churches, and it’s explicitly political. I assume the HIghland center has a website, while those small churches probably use FB pages.
Just my feelings. Evidence will come out, the truth will be known, the guilty will pay the price. These days it’s very difficult to get away with things.

1 Like

If we assume the police do a thorough job (big if) we don’t know how the fire was set. Any kind of delay widens the suspect pool, cctv rarely is high quality out of frame, and people don’t usually randomly film people who look like they belong.

Throw in a rural area and witnesses who won’t be inclined to report suspicious behavior even if they saw it…

Sadly the reason this is a stereotypical attack is because it is effective and often anonymous

In America? You do realize how many crimes in our recent past that have involved white supremacy have gone unpunished, right? There are likely hundreds if not thousands of arsonists, assaulters, and murderers still walking free as we type.

So I’ll believe that when I see it.

10 Likes

Show of hands, who’s surprised that the apparent culprit is the son of the parish’s deputy sheriff, who is also white?

15 Likes

A suspect had been arrested when you wrote your post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some more details in this report, apparently the suspect was surrendered to authorities by his deputy father and is a member of a black metal band with a ridiculous name.

2 Likes

Hopefully, not a single person with any grasp of US history…

7 Likes

Oh, denialists and those with a vested interest in ignoring racism and hate crimes will think of some BS excuse, I’m sure.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.