Someone is targeting "critical infrastructure" safety systems in networked attacks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/11/cyberkinetic.html

1 Like

“Someone…”
Well, we are cool with Russia and all tyrants now, maybe it is Mexico? Germany?

6 Likes

The Netherlands?

7 Likes

Or Florida?

11 Likes

It’s that 400lb kid in Jersey?

11 Likes

No problem - the Invisible Hand of the Free Market will take care of this. When the power goes down in the middle of your surgery, you can just vote with your dollars and switch to that other electric utility in your city.

12 Likes

Russia, if you’re listening - plan an attack in October before the election. So I can declare martial law.

8 Likes

Ever since I saw the documentary Zero Days, I’ve been worried about this stuff reaching the mass transportation infrastructure. It comes to mind when reading about that rash of train brake failures a few years ago, or the 737 MAX crashes.

2 Likes

Let’s hope someone don’t target nuclear facilities and destroy their centrifuges.

4 Likes

No, it’s really “a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world!”

2 Likes

Guys, this shit is straight up terrifying (like in a terrorist way).

3 Likes

So, the thing that security professionals have been screaming could happen for a few years, especially due to aging infrastructure and cost-cutting is happening?

Who could have seen that coming?

6 Likes

FireEye received an early investment from the CIA’s investment arm, In-Q-Tel, in 2009

These “cybersecurity” outfits stand to make $$$ by inventing threats, like CrowdStrike (run by Russophobic Ukranian nationalists and “former” US spooks).

2 Likes

Didn’t Google make China’s firewall more or less, where was that at when these attacks were happening

Skynet learning to walk, figuratively speaking.

I know it’s a pain, but there’s a lot to be said for air-gapping critical security infrastructure. It’s not impossible to do at scale; some semiconductor manufacturers do it. It just takes the will to take security seriously.

1 Like

If it is “critical infrastructure” don’t put in on the Internet. Someone has decided it is not “critical infrastructure” because they put in on the Internet. So hack away!

2 Likes

Sure am glad Putin is not involved. MAGA!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.