Someone paid US$100,000 for the safety and arming plugs from the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima

take the ferry to miyajima and get attacked by deer

4 Likes

Eat a lot of okonomiyaki, go to the castle, walk around in the peace park, go to a baseball game (Go Carp!), ride the trains to the country or to Mijajima. A great city!

4 Likes

Well acquainted with the “4 legged piranhas”. Todaiji Temple in Nara is about a 30 minute drive from my in-law’s home.

10 Likes

My wife loves okonomiyaki!
I like castles!

6 Likes

You can go in August and walk between Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Jim Peck, WWII. CO, Journey of Reconciliation Freedom Rides, crewman n the Golden Rule and endless otyer actions against war, went in 1977. Someone with him wrote a book about it, kind of as poetry.

I wanted to go once, then it slipped into the background, though in recent years the urge came back, me noting that in 2025 it will be 80 years after the bombing. I’ll be 65, not too old to walk.

2 Likes

For anyone who hasn’t ever truly listened to the lyrics of OMD’s Enola Gay (a eulogium to the aircraft that delivered this payload of horror to Hirshima) I’d recommend you do so now. To say it’s an impressive feat to make a thoughtful and danceable song about a colossal act of terrorism on a nonmilitary target would be an understatement.

Enola Gay, you should have stayed at home yesterday
We got your message on the radio, conditions normal and you’re coming home
These games you play, they’re gonna end in more than tears someday
Uh huh Enola Gay, it shouldn’t ever have to end this way

It’s 8:15, that’s the time that it’s always been
We got your message on the radio, conditions normal and you’re coming home

Enola Gay, is mother proud of little boy today
Uh huh, this kiss you give, it’s never ever gonna fade away

Enola Gay, you should have stayed at home yesterday
We got your message on the radio, conditions normal…
https://youtu.be/d5XJ2GiR6Bo

9 Likes

Although historically significant, there is no way you can get me to go to Japan in the summer by choice. Ridiculously hot and humid.

My last trip mostly centered around Ise prefecture in July. The trip to the main shrine there was like a death march. No shade, brutal sun and not a sign of the usual ubiquitous drink machines in sight.

Yes to everything NukeML said! There’s sooooo much to do and see in Hiroshima. It’s my favorite Japanese city – not quite so tourist-filled as my second favorite, Kyoto, which is why it gets the nod.

2 Likes

Nagataya is right around the corner from the Peace Memorial, and its okonomiyaki is AMAZING.

http://nagataya-okonomi.com/en/shop.html

1 Like

That clinches it. Hiroshima will be my side trip on my next visit to Japan. 4-5 days in the Kansai region with the in-laws. Followed by 5-7 days of getting away from my in-laws before they drive my wife crazy.

1 Like

I’ll add to the recommendations to make Miyajima a priority while you’re there, and make the hike to the top of Mt. Misen -you can see the whole Inland Sea from there.

2 Likes

Now I have a possible itinerary! Yay!
Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I did both, and recommend the deer. Squirrely bastards but adorable.

I think Donald Trump should be forced to visit Auschwitz for a day and visit the atom bomb memorial and nothing else for a day, back to back.

There is a chunk of concrete in the atom bomb Museum with nothing but a shadow on it and it explains it is all that is left of the person standing in front of it because they were vaporized and the shadow is actually the carbon that was left from their body impregnated in the concrete forever as a memory of the horror

I would say that museum does its job for anybody that visits there. If you can come out of there thinking nuclear war is ever a good idea or even a last-ditch option you need to go back through, or perhaps you have no soul.

4 Likes

It’s covered in the movie Ninth Gate.

1 Like

Probably someone with means and really into the world’s “atomic heritage”. Clay Perkins, in San Diego, is the likely new owner. He has a demonstrated interest in such stuff - having significantly aided the restoration of the Hans Bethe house for the eventual Manhattan District National Historic Park.

Parts of Fat Man are also kicking around. The tool that shipped with it to Tinian which held some of the critical guts in place is sitting in a (locked) warehouse in Los Alamos. It’s not for sale, but it is available to see and touch if you’re on the right tour.

2 Likes

… and people that are still alive that were actually there.

2 Likes

Why the hell isn’t that in the national archive!

GAH!!! This makes me so angry… it’s like no one cares about preserving historical artifacts!

peep-show-hans-bullshit

Not aimed at you, just at this situation…

6 Likes

It’s the little things that make owning and maintaining an atomic bomb so expensive.

5 Likes

Doubtful, no flared base

4 Likes

It belongs in a museum

3 Likes