Someone paid US$100,000 for the safety and arming plugs from the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/29/someone-paid-us100000-for-th.html

4 Likes

23g620

28 Likes

THE ONLY SURVIVING RELICS OF “LITTLE BOY,” THE FIRST ATOMIC BOMB DETONATED OVER HIROSHIMA…

Oh no, there is still plenty of radioactivity at the places they were dropped, so lots of surviving relics…

21 Likes

“Ah, shit, Bob. Is it green to arm and red to disarm? Or was it green is unarmed and red to arm? I mean, green means ‘go’, but red indicates danger… a f**k. Well, Bob, we got a 50-50 chance of getting it right, so just go for it.”

18 Likes

This is a piece of history, but that history is one of unimaginable violence and destruction. Who lusts after this?

13 Likes

Hiroshima today is a much larger city

Noted for its seafood

16 Likes

To be fair, it does seem like a pretty significant historical artifact. Horrible, sure, but probably in the same category as a Mongol bow used in the conquest of Baghdad or the first AK-47 ever produced. Hopefully it’s going to a museum and not some weirdo’s house to be used for god know’s what kind of creepy nonsense.

15 Likes

If online forums are any indication, lots of people.

3 Likes

Someone with enough money to pay for them. So, you know, someone of “means.”

3 Likes

A museum would be an acceptable option.

4 Likes

I’m going to push back on that: there was only one ‘Fat Man,’ [correction: ‘Little Boy’] there were thousands of Mongol bows and maybe millions of Kalashnikovs.

1 Like

I’m not sure what direction you believe that pushes the historical value of these plugs. Wouldn’t the fact that there was only one Little Boy make that value go up?

(Leaving aside the fact that there was one first AK-47 produced and I’d doubt there are any surviving bows from the siege of Baghdad, let alone thousands)

It was my understanding that the radiation levels at Nagasaki and Hiroshima were on par with world average. Is that not the case?

4 Likes

When all the nazi paraphernalia has dried up, this is what they’re left with.

4 Likes

I’m of the opinion that a single, handmade item is inherently more valuable [for most values of “value”] than any mass-produced item, even the first of a run.

2 Likes

yes, but the human bacon it left behind still sizzles.

2 Likes

Face it. It’s probably going to some weirdo’s house to be used for god know’s what kind of creepy nonsense.

4 Likes

Why the fuck aren’t they in the national archive?

9 Likes

Hidden camera footage of the purchaser’s home:

10 Likes

They should’ve been donated to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. (And if you’re in Japan, it’s a must-visit.)
http://www.hpmmuseum.jp/?lang=eng

11 Likes

But what do you do for the rest of your day there?