Something big smashed into Jupiter

Basically, a fluid is matter which flows without resistance to external stress from shear forces. The difference between a liquid and gas is a gas has no surface tension. However, at the masses and velocities involved in orbital impacts, surface tension is trivial compared to the inertia of the atoms. The main difference between a meteor impacting gas or liquid is the greater inertia of the liquid, with the surface tension contributing comparatively trivial resistance. With the examples of slapping the water or doing a high dive or a HALO drop into water, the surface tension is more relevant, but still less than the inertia of the water molecules.

High-altitude low-opening parachutists are taught to drop their packs into the water after opening their chute, both to break the surface tension and get the water directly below them moving out of their way. Otherwise they can potentially break their legs or spine.

6 Likes

That’s called the “George Costanza, Just Out Of The Pool Effect”.

3 Likes

that explosion was the size of the moon.

Am I seeing a shock wave in that animated GIF?

2 Likes

Christ, you’re a very bad faith interlocutor.

1 Like

In which case the only substance it would be possible to smash into would be crystals.

4 Likes

Neutrinos: “Hold my beer.”

5 Likes

OMG - when I learned about neutrinos, and how right now they are zipping through the spaces between the atoms that make up me, the Earth, everything - blew my fucking mind.

3 Likes

oh yea, think you right; hard to catch, but nevertheless there is something around that flash

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.