Sony admits backing Shenmue 3, which has $3m pledged on Kickstarter

I think you are severely overestimating the amount of marketing Shenmue 3 will get, and how much support will be coming from Sony. Due to the lack of a PS4 physical copy on the Kickstarter, it leads me to believe that Sony are not even waiving the cost of printing disks.

Yu Suzuki is currently doing an AMA on reddit where he claims that he will only be able to make the full open world experience if the Kickstarter money exceeds $10 million. This lends credibility to the fact that additional funding sources are only giving less than $2 million each.

There’s no scam, there aren’t any lies. Shenmue 3 is funded by the fans, and it needs every penny to be the best game it can be.

Kickstarter is meant to be whatever the company behind the website wants it to be.

Also, people who backed this project were very naive to believe that the funding goal could even come close to producing something like the Shenmue games, or pretty much any modern “big” games.

Also, using kickstarter as a “show of interest” is fine by me. It tells the publishers that gaming dinosaurs like me want something other than brown mandude gun simulators.

Guys, funding Shenmue 3 on Kickstarter is absolutely necessary. Sony won’t fund it so much, except for a minimun marketing support and expenses in order to cover digital distribution. Please visit this community in order to learn more:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/for…

If interested you should visit the Facebook group “Shenmue 500k”, this is where the fans are gathering in order to help YS promoting the Kickstarter campaign.

I wasn’t estimating anything, actually - I was just pointing out that even if Sony is providing no development money, they could still be putting in significant resources into this (not that they are doing so). With everything so vague and secretive, who knows who’s doing what.

Which is a whole other type of (likely unintentional) fuckery. The Kickstarter may not explicitly say that’s it’s an open world game, but it at least (heavily) implies that’s the case. They mention multiple times that Shenmue is a famously open world series and this game continues the tradition and go so far as to say, in the first FAQ, that they can’t make an open world game for $2M, but that’s OK because they have other funds. There’s no $10M stretch goal on there and frankly it’s absurd to think they could get that much - it’s just not going to happen (have these people seen Kickstarter before?). So on top of obfuscation about who’s funding this, it’s not at all clear what’s actually being funded nor what sort of budget it needs (which just further obfuscates the size and importance of the other funding sources - if their target budget is $20M, and they only raised $2M from the Kickstarter, for example…).

1 Like

People all these rumors regarding Sony is funding shenmue 3 are lies!!! Sony is advertising and polishing the game. The game funding itself is through us the fans that have waited 14 fucking years for this moment. All these sites are lies and dont want us to fund shenmue 3!!! Adam Koralik explains perfecly from our fans perspective why these rumors are lies! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Idw_IQx2L0g

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.