Sony won't let you post "crap recordings" of a few seconds of your own Beethoven piano performance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/roll-over-beethoven.html

1 Like

Isn’t Beethoven in the public domain? Is Sony claiming that this guy is specifically playing a recording of Beethoven that they made? How would that even work?

10 Likes

Seems like the kind of thing to leverage. Call it the censorship challenge and do this with all content that is in the public domain and try to get it flagged by using your own original music or content. If you make it into a thing it will only embarrass Youtube and any other label/group trying to claim ownership of things they are clearly not owners of.

5 Likes

Sony’s lawyers’ software sends out mass complaints.
Lawyers bill Sony.
Lawyers get paid.

Working as designed. :sunglasses:

So long as they don’t piss off anyone who can fight back, there’s little downside for them, and the number of complaints is someone’s job statistic, so there’s negative incentive to reduce it.

14 Likes

These hobbyists should do the reverse to Sony with the same rationale.

6 Likes

That should work fine!

Beethoven’s music is in the public domain. Specific recordings of it (e.g. made by artitsts under contract to / with records deals with Sony) are copyright to whoever made the recording. The automated idiocy assumes that any other recording sounds like the Sony-copyrighted recording (which of course it always will) and flags it, as it MUST of course be that Sony recording (duh!).

There needs to be some new rule that recordings of public domain material can only be protected by humans listening and proving they are the same as the allegedly infringing version - i.e. prove the user uploaded the Sony recording and not some other recording. Or just make all public domain musical recordings unprotected - but that will never fly, for many reasons.

ETA @KathyPartdeux I like the idea of uploading a gazillion different recordings of the same classical pieces and doing a reverse Sony. That may turn out to be an effective form of protest, but only if the numbers of uploads are huge, I suspect.

8 Likes

Now I want to start a Youtube channel that does infinite livestreams of browser windows playing other Youtube content on infinite autoplay, just to see if it floods the algorithmic scanners.

3 Likes

If I recall, any claims or strikes against Sony or the other big labels are just automatically thrown out and ignored.

3 Likes

Really? Seems like a legal case waiting to happen.

2 Likes

“…and I have no associations with any labels.”

That’s what you think. Sony owns your ass now. They own your baby pictures, and your mom’s baby pictures too.

Those audio copyright bots are pretty damn stupid in general. I brought that point up back in the summer when a SoundCloud bot mistakenly pulled an Ariana Grande acapella cover made entirely with an realistic singing synth

3 Likes

Because the stupid Youtube-filter analyses your upload and if it sounds ‘close enough’ to something that was registred by a big label like Sony, it will assume that you simply used the Sony material.

Since most classical music performers try to get as close to the original score as possible, they of course sound alike. An thus they get flagged.
The main problem is that Youtube allows Sony to register their version of a classical piece of music as if it is the only one possible and thus block every other performance of it…

I wonder what would happen if Deutsche Grammophon would like to register their recording of the same piece?

7 Likes

I wonder what would happen if Sony started auto-flagging videos of performances on accounts like Steinway & Sons official Youtube channel? Or Yo-Yo Ma’s? Or Natalie Dessay’s?—that is to say, entities who still don’t have enough money to fight Sony on this, but with whom Sony might want to maintain good relations?

6 Likes

It doesn’t matter. SONY has money

What legal case? This is the law now

2 Likes

Are you saying that it is not legal to make a claim that a record company or other corporate rights holder may be infringing someone else’s copyright? That it is the law that “claims or strikes against Sony or the other big labels are just automatically thrown out and ignored”? I doubt that was what you meant but that seems to be the implication of your comment.

What legal case”? The hypothetical one (“waiting to happen”) I was suggesting might conceivably be forthcoming if places like YT are refusing to consider such claims of infringement against record companies (or other large corporate copyright owners) such as Sony and just discard them automatically.

Have you completely misunderstood?

And this was how SkyNet was born…

1 Like

Interesting that part of the article is in Chinese rather than Japanese. Was the banned video from China?