'SOS' written in sand helps 3 men get rescued from Pacific island

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/04/sos-written-in-sand-helps.html

8 Likes

Which guy got nicknamed Wilson? Kidding. That’s awesome they were rescued, and days before dehydration would’ve killed them, too!

11 Likes

This adds evidence to my theory that Gilligan could’ve got everybody rescued if he really wanted to but knew a good deal when he saw one.

24 Likes

Wow. I thought ST: Voyager was ridiculous when Seven of Nine showed up wearing heels, but this is worse.

8 Likes

“Wait, wait, cancel that… I guess it says ‘helf’.”

13 Likes

On today’s edition of Desert Island Discs…

14 Likes

What aint we got?.. A way off this island!

When my favourite martian was in the South Pacific things was different.

8 Likes

27 miles eh? Sounds like your could cover that distance in just around three hours.

7 Likes

21 Likes

The problem is that, especially in a small open boat like that with a relatively low eye height, in the middle of the trip you are out of sight of land for quite some time and can easily become disoriented if you don’t have a good means of measuring your direction.

I imagine the Micronesians historically had these- I don’t know whether the people in the boat knew the traditional navigational skills, or if they were relying on a magnetic compass.

2 Likes

Off route. Recalculating…

8 Likes

…a three-hour toooour!!

10 Likes

That looked like a pretty sturdy shelter they built for themselves. If I ever got stranded, I’d hope my companions were as skillful at survival as these guys.

3 Likes

“Why’s it say ‘505’ on that island down there? Are we numbering these little sandbars and atolls now?”

2 Likes

This is why I can’t watch all the superhero stuff. The women are all running around fighting crime in male gaze heels, and it makes no sense.

6 Likes

And backwards.

That’s the “super” part. :wink:

3 Likes

birds, clouds, smoke from natural fires, sometimes fish

those i think are the guesses for how people found islands ( and continents ) for the first time without being able to actually see the land. and dumb luck i guess

( definitely none recommended for beginners )

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.