South Carolina legislators approve execution by firing squad

Originally published at: South Carolina legislators approve execution by firing squad | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Frustrated Stephen Colbert GIF

33 Likes

I’m nor sure which is more depressing, that the state is determined to commit premeditated murder or that they’re exploring torture to accomplish it.

30 Likes

I’m all for ending state-sponsored murder, but this is a really dumb reason to do it.

“Why would South Carolina move toward the firing squad when they also do that in North Korea?” State Representative Justin Bamberg, a Democrat, said in an interview on Thursday.

North Koreans also eat kimchi (yum!), maybe South Carolina should ban that, too.

15 Likes

Remind me NOT to double park in Charleston please.

If the right wing death cult could turn the Earth backwards they would do it in a heart beat.

14 Likes

And we don’t even have Superman around to get it turning the other way again.

12 Likes

It sounds strange to say it, but I think firing squad is probably the most “humane” out of the three (firing squad, electric chair, and lethal injection).

11 Likes

Sure, get hit by a speeding bullet, guts explode, writhe in pain, bleed out and slowly die if the shot isn’t a kill shot. Sounds humane. /s

17 Likes

Seriously. Doesn’t the lethal injection include anesthesia?

13 Likes

Same week that an executed man was exonerated by DNA evidence.

40 Likes

Again, witness the performative cruelty of the Republican Party. They want to be seen as angry and violent.

19 Likes

42 Likes

it’s the most honest

guns is how people kill each other these days

a firing squad is not pretending to be something else, like a medical procedure

34 Likes

I’m fundamentally against all forms of capital punishment for lots of different reasons, but there have been MANY botched attempts at lethal injection that definitely qualify as torture, so honestly I don’t know if the firing squad is really much worse. At least it’s not pretending to be anything other than what it clearly is: the state committing a violent and bloody act of murder. The thing with lethal injection that upsets me most is that it’s so sanitized and almost presented as a medical procedure or act of mercy, so it’s easier for society to think of it as something other than what it is.

ETA: @smulder beat me to the point and made it more succinctly.

If it weren’t for not wanting to offend the sensibilities of the public, probably one of the most fool-proof, “humane” forms of execution would be to use a mechanism to simultaneously fire several redundant shotgun blasts at the the condemned person’s head at close range. Certainly more instantaneous and less likely to fail than a traditional firing squad. The reason that we don’t execute people that way has nothing to do with mercy for the condemned, and everything to do with how pro-death-penalty-people want to view themselves as being better than murderers.

29 Likes

I consider it one of the world’s great ironies that prisoners get the injection site on their arms swabbed and sterilized before lethal drugs are injected.

28 Likes

Maybe we’ll get to see them use it on some capitol insurrectionists.

It’s traditional, after all.

7 Likes

Having been shot, I must disagree with that, and point out that even witnessing a shooting produces PTSD in a human. Killing a human to right any wrong is repugnant ignorant process, and it has never deterred crime, ever.

38 Likes

It’s been getting botched a lot lately.

There’s not many qualified medical professionals who are willing to execute people, and the pharma companies are loath to sell the drugs for purposes of execution.

I think I’d probably rather get shot in the head with a rifle than chance lethal injection by the clowns running that program in TX and OK.

15 Likes

And the electric chair, which they’re also chomping at the bit to bring back.

13 Likes

That they make people choose between these three horrible options…that’s the cruel and unusual punishment, right there.

22 Likes