Soviet space-race magazine covers

Norman sez, "When the space race raged in the 1950s, fantastical visions of the future of travel were everywhere. Magazines like Popular Mechanics ran speculative articles about the rockets and space stations that would take civilization to the stars, and the accompanying artwork blurred the line between fiction and plausible reality. This art had a… READ THE REST

I love the back to back images of “here is our idyllic spherical house, complete with airplane in the attic”, followed by “here is our idyllic spherical artillery emplacement”.

A lot of aesthetically pleasing retrofuturism seems to work on the implicit premise that the material culture of the future will be Astoundingly Amazing With Rocket Ships and the Wonders of the Atom! but this will have neither profound effects on social structure and behavior, nor will any of the new technologies render obsolete entire categories of old ones(especially that artillery emplacement, which was probably closest to realization, albeit in a slightly less cool shape, when they were building the Maginot Line and which was obsolete more or less before they started building it, much less in the Future).

I suspect that part of it is that people just aren’t very good at predicting future developments, and part of it is that the best ‘retrofuture’ is the stuff that the real future is too lame to deliver.

Epic Space Beard, for a rather gentlemanly-looking apocalyptic lunar-doom-fortress.

It would only show me the first 30 images. How did you get to the rest?

Replace the 169 in the URL with 032 and go from there. You’ll hit a few more problem points after that, so keep an eye on the number so that you can do it again.

Russians in giant robots?

You don’t say…

that’s the jaeger the russians used in ‘pacific rim’.

What the hell? Tovarish on the cover has a Rogue Squadron uniform on!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.