Spaaaaace (Infinite Space: Part 2)

Woah. The aurora is visible in central Texas

https://www.kxan.com/news/look-north-northern-lights-seen-in-central-texas/

10 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

The aurora last night was gorgeous.

12 Likes

Shenandoah Valley in VA. Lovely, visible to the naked eye, but better with camera on night setting.

17 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Looks like that booster catch was successful, although there seemed to be a lot of lingering flame at the bottom of the rocket that was still there for quite a while after the engines shut off, so I don’t know if that’s a great sign. Still, it certainly could have gone a lot worse.

And from what I can tell the upper part of Starship didn’t get burned up as badly as it did last time when it reentered the atmosphere over the Indian Ocean.

3 Likes

5 Likes

impressive. now they have to do that at least 20x without glitch.

I dont know the details yet, but that part was way less impressive, given this article;

…the upper stage pushed on to an altitude of nearly 90 miles, looping around the planet at 17,000 mph before splashing down in the Indian Ocean as planned

guess these 90 mi are wrong, that would be clearly sub-orbital, wikipedia says apogee was 132 mi, which is the same as ift-4 reached. the upper stage is too heavy and I would be surprised if it had a payload this time.

and about that “successful” “landing” of the upper stage;

A separate camera view from a vessel near the splashdown site then showed the ship exploding into a vast fireball.

oops.
e/

still burned, still a lot of fire sparks, especialy the engine compartement. thats burning metal like last time. dont see real improvement here as the upper stage still gets badly damaged through re-entry. and then explodes.

e/ upper feed-window left; its still burning through the flaps:

1 Like
4 Likes
3 Likes

5 Likes
2 Likes

“Comet of the Century” implies a bright comet that you could tell your kids about. This is not that. This is a fairly forgettable, barely noticeable long-period comet.

7 Likes

I guess it depends how long the century is! :neutral_face:

5 Likes

As seen from my back deck. Pretty damned amazing! Naked eye visible, but much better with a camera.

7 Likes
5 Likes

ESA astronaut on the difference between flying in a Soyuz and piloting a Crew Dragon

Andreas Mogensen, first Dane in spaaaaace.

2 Likes