In response to sanctions, Chief of Russian space agency threatens to drop ISS on North America or Europe

Originally published at: In response to sanctions, Chief of Russian space agency threatens to drop ISS on North America or Europe | Boing Boing

15 Likes

How to hobble your country’s technological gains and their status in the scientific community in 3 easy steps.

60 Likes

Fucker.

30 Likes

The stupid part is that the ISS does pass over southern Russia, where most of the population is. How is he in charge of their space program again?

37 Likes

This guy apparently has a history of making weird statements like that. Not that I wouldn’t worry a little about it.

27 Likes

Sounds more like he’d be suited to heading up the space pogrom.

22 Likes

Right now the crew of the ISS is Kayla Barron, U.S. astronaut; Raja Chari, U.S. astronaut; Pyotr Dubrov, Russian cosmonaut; Thomas Marshburn, U.S. astronaut; Matthias Maurer, German astronaut; Anton Shkaplerov, Russian cosmonaut; and Mark Vande Hei, U.S. astronaut.

There is an escape vehicle there…not sure how many people it carries. Regardless I assume that Pyotr and Anton do not appreciate this asshole

26 Likes

To be fair, if Putin told me to make this insane statement, I would. :confused:

8 Likes

Space Force stands ready.

27 Likes

“You take away our beautiful song music show, and now we will drop a space station on your home. You have been warned.”

Looks like the sanctions are already having an effect, because I can’t see any other reason he would make such a dumb, silly, inane threat and NOT have the last name “Trump.”

24 Likes

Bill Murray Drink GIF

17 Likes

There is always supposed to be capacity to take the full crew of the ISS off the station should something catastrophic happen. Currently there is 1 Soyuz docked, with a 3 person capacity, and a Dragon Crew capsule, with a 4 person capacity, making enough crew capacity to take all 7 crew off if needed. Source

20 Likes

Space Station should be served :cold_face: cold, old Russian saying.

6 Likes

“It’s a nice space station you got there. Hate to see something happen to it.”

Classy.

23 Likes

It’s “cartoon villan in real time”, who had this on their apocalypse bingo card? If you score diagonally you get double points!

8 Likes

From the same agency that claimed a manufacturing defect in a Soyuz was caused by a “crazy woman” (ugh). That when the Nauka science module fired it’s thrusters shortly after docking, threatening to tear the station apart, it was just a normal “reconfiguration” process.

I feel like in his mind he thinks they could do it can then claim it was some other nations fault and the world would believe it. I think he has started to believe his own propaganda.

18 Likes

Killing or attempting to kill Americans seems like it might be perceived as an act of war…?

16 Likes

This Russian creep would fit right in as a republican election strategist. The sorry piece of shit would probably do it if he had the means. Is he dumb enough to think we might not in turn drop something on Russia? What an amazing asshole.
Putin could amaze and change the entire world by saying, “either all of the nations join us in a united effort to address climate change or we will use our might destructively”. But no, he needs to play mr. badass and steal what isn’t his.

14 Likes

Is this even remotely possible? I mean, I’m sure firing the Soyuz jets could do a lot of damage and shift the orbit, but actually deorbiting the thing seems like a tall order. Especially with 7 people inside who have a vested interest in not becoming scattered debris.

15 Likes

Also, and this is an honest question from a non-scientist-type: how much of the thing would burn up if it were to fall?

7 Likes