Spaaaaace (Part 1)

3 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Accelerating a tiny probe to millions of miles per hour would be relatively easy

Decelerating it to orbit an exoplanet is harder

and good luck getting any kind of signal back

1 Like

String of small probes, launched one after another in intervals, acting as relay stations.

1 Like

I think you would have to try orbiting the star anyway. Proxima b has some very narrow error margins on its orbit, and even those could leave a probe out by more than the distance to the moon. But if you could aim well enough, the surface would solve the deceleration problem, if making sending signals back just a bit harder.

3 Likes

Lithobreaking? Let’s call that Plan B.

2 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

Wasn’t there a spooky Enterprise episode that had something like this? It reminded me of Coma but set in space.

I welcome our robot overl-- Oh, damn. We may not make it that far with the way things are going. :pleading_face:

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

I haven’t seen much of Enterprise. I think I just watched a few episodes.

At first I think it’s good to automate most of the space activities. But since humanity has been having a lot of bad luck lately, the chances of anything like this going wrong are pretty high. :^))

1 Like

A chunk of Chinese space junk today crashed into the far side of the Moon, according to a maker of astrometry software.

The trash is believed to be a spent Long March 3C rocket booster from the launch of Chang’e 5-T1, a Chinese experimental robotic spacecraft that lifted off in 2014. The leftover component was estimated to have smashed into the Moon at 1225 UTC on Friday, after hurtling through space at 5,800 miles per hour.

[…]

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

8 Likes