Spaaaaace (Part 1)

4 Likes

Virgin Galactic may start flying again, although itā€™s very hard to see the current business case for this thing:

The super-rich who want a real orbital spaceflight will go with SpaceX, or possibly book a ride on a Soyuz. People who just want a lot of zero-g time for a lower price will take a ride on a vomit-comet jet. For the subset of very rich folks who want a quick hop into space thereā€™s already the Bezos phallic rocket, which hasnā€™t killed anyone yet and has a launch escape system that was recently shown to work. No way that Branson can get enough paying customers and have the launch cadence to make this thing profitable.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Could Bransonā€™s design theoretically be used to ferry passengers long distances very quickly (say, taking a suborbital space flight across the Atlantic) or is it wholly useless for anything other than ā€œlook how high I flewā€?

2 Likes

As far as I can tell the latter. Just a quick dash above the KƔrmƔn line, and then back down.

4 Likes

Truth be told, if I had that kind of money to throw away and could be reasonable sure that I wouldnā€™t undergo a rapid unscheduled disassembly myself I would book a flight just for the heck of it.

Rutanā€™s design is really clever and he did win the Ansari X-Prize with it in 2004. That was a breakthrough and proof of concept. But they somehow failed to turn that into something reliable and sustainable, let alone scaling it up to orbital flights, in two decades.

1 Like

New York to London - 5,500km

KƔrmƔn line - 100km-ish

Lobbing a small vehicle to 100km would require a glide slope that defies physics to provide any savings.

2 Likes

I was promised New York to Paris in 90 minutes, undersea, in a train all graphite and glitter.
And donā€™t even get me started on the spandex jackets.

4 Likes

Well they did partner with Northrop to make the super-duper huge variant to do rocket drops. But dropping liquid rockets is not an easy thing to do reliably. They went all in and got passed by SpaceX

3 Likes

You just need to bore a hole between any two points, make a vacuum in the hole, then using frictionless bearings to keep you centered you can connect any two points in 84 minutes. The hardest part is the engineering. The theory is sound.

5 Likes

Iā€™d rather take a Zeppelin than the Gravitube.

6 Likes
5 Likes

The development of that system has been excruciatingly slow as well. They rolled out rhe plane way back in 2017 and have only done 9 test flights since then. Slow-and-steady may win the race sometimes, but there are limits to how slow you can be without becoming obsolete before completion.

3 Likes

Thanks! The article mentioned the ā€œMars Sample Returnā€ mission, which Iā€™d somehow missed. Holy crap!

6 Likes

I think those were different lyrics

The Concorde got JFKā€“CDG down to about 200 minutes, and ā€œundersea by railā€ was the Chunnel

At this point ā€œI.G.Y.ā€ is about the past

3 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Normally, I wouldnā€™t get excited about a contest where the first prize is a trip to Cleveland. Thereā€™s an old joke that says ā€œFirst prize is a trip to Cleveland! And the second prize is two trips to Cleveland.ā€

But for thisā€¦ yeah, thatā€™d be cool.

If Iā€™m still near Sydney in 2028, Iā€™m set. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does it require perfectly spherical cows?

2 Likes

Only the sphericalist will do.

4 Likes