Spaaaaace (Part 1)

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

A neat little detail hidden in there is that the Texas Parks and Wildlife Chairman is also the founder of an oil company. So no surprise on his decision not to care about conservation or public opinion when there’s money, or that he can go to hell along with Musk.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Experts have estimated that you’re 65,000 times more likely to be struck by lightning than to have a bit of space debris fall on your head.

And you’re 1.5 million times more likely to die in an accident at home.

https://orbitaltoday.com/2024/03/07/nasa-picks-nikon-to-document-humanitys-return-to-the-moon/

Doctor Who Time GIF by Temple Of Geek

8 Likes
3 Likes

UK and US lack regulation to protect space tourists from cosmic ray dangers

4 Likes

Japan’s first private satellite launch imitates SpaceX’s giant explosions

Has a video that won’t play for me, but that’s probably my settings.

1 Like
2 Likes

I mean, it’s kinda traditional that the first one blows up; either still on the pad or shortly after liftoff.
Lovely plume, too.

1 Like

maybe theres more of that today;

wtf? all of a sudden its danger-time again.

1 Like
  1. It won’t work completely as planned. Maybe not a big kaboom like the last two times, but something will go wrong. For one thing Starship has N-1 syndrome. That comes with a couple of problems that can be fixed, eventually, but it will take a bit more time. The other thing is that they didn’t just fix (or try to fix) the problems that presented themselves the last time, and now give it another try. No, they also changed a couple of things. This is still too much “fail fast, fail often”.

2. Apart from the test launch, is there anything else going on or about to go down? Court dates, indictions, profit warnings, and so on? Tesla, Boring, Loop, AI, semis, ex-wives, offspring; anything potentially embarrassing on the horizon?
    Because a lot of Musk’s more spectacular demonstrations seem to be timed to distract attention from some other wacky shenanigans he is involved in.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with this phrase. What does it mean?

9 Likes

I’m watching the Starship reentry video feed live. It’s really impressive that they managed to maintain live onboard video showing the fiery reentry and glowing heat tiles. Usually the reentry causes a radio blackout for spacecraft, but they’re saying that this thing is so big that it leaves enough of a wake for the radio signals to get through to the satellites above it.

2 Likes