Spaaaaace (Part 1)

SpaceX’s Elon Musk high on success after counting ‘420’ Starlinks in orbit and Frosty the Starship survives cryo test

Glad to see they have skateboarding rhinoceri on there. Simplifies things immensely

2 Likes

I am travelling at 0.0097 % of the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum right now!

ATLAS flubbed: Comet heading our way takes one look at Earth, self-destructs into house-sized chunks

Stargazers hoping to glimpse a comet close to Earth next month are in for a disappointment: it fell apart en route.

Astronomers aren’t quite sure why comets break apart. Some believe the nucleus disintegrates as it spins, and the icy material locked in its surface vaporizes.
“Further analysis of the Hubble data might be able to show whether or not this mechanism is responsible,” said Jewitt. “Regardless, it’s quite special to get a look with Hubble at this dying comet.”

3 Likes

I’ve stopped getting my hopes up about comets. But I will still try to snag a pic or two through the 'ol Schmidt-Cassegraine

2 Likes
1 Like

The ultimate 4-wheel-drive: How ESA’s keeping XMM-Newton alive after 20 years and beyond

ESA’s X-ray Multi Mirror (XMM) telescope, named for English physicist and mathematician Sir Isaac Newton, was launched on an Ariane 5 back on 10 December 1999. Funded for an initial two-year mission, with a ten-year design-life, the biggest science satellite built in Europe (at the time) is now entering its third decade of service.

International space station connects 100Mbps symmetric space laser ethernet using Sony optical disc tech

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has achieved a 100 Mbps ethernet connection from the International Space Station to earth, using lasers!

1 Like

Bye, Russia: NASA wheels out astronauts, describes plan for first all-American manned launch into orbit since 2011

NASA today introduced to the world the American astronauts set to ride an American rocket into low-Earth orbit from American soil, a journey that will be the first of its kind since the final Space Shuttle launch in 2011.

I really like the caption for the pic.

2 Likes

NASA has picked an engine supplier for its controversial Space Launch System (SLS) program weeks after an audit chastised the space agency for blowing its budget.

2 Likes

SpaceX’s suits really look like something out of The Martian.

1 Like

Naming a space mission “Artemis” is tempting fate.

5 Likes

(No idea if this is true, but it’s too good to not post it.)

11 Likes

Seems the quote came from a TV series called “From the Earth to the moon”. Cary Elwes played Collins and said the line. But in later years Micharl Collins would repeat the joke as his own because it was funny, per his comments at his appearance at Oskosh 2019.

Still funny.

6 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

There’s a black hole lurking within 1,000 light years of Earth – and you can see stars circling it with the naked eye

Astronomers have stumbled across the nearest black hole to us yet. The void lies at the heart of a stellar system just 1,000 light years away, and indications to its location are visible to the naked eye.

3 Likes

China successfully launches its biggest-ever space truck to fire up its space station ambitions

China has successfully launched a prototype of its next-generation spacecraft.
The unmanned craft launched yesterday afternoon from a testing site in Wengchang on the country’s southernmost tip. A capsule prototype detached from the rocket eight minutes after take off and was sent into orbit.

Space Force unveils recruiting video featuring secret space vehicle that will launch this month

Spoler alert: it’s the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle.

1 Like