Spaaaaace (Part 1)

It’s not exactly in space, but it has a beautiful view of the Milky Way. I think I saw a night sky as beautiful as this just once, many years ago.

5 Likes

That is beautiful.

2 Likes

is there some reason that south of the equator gets more than the fair share of cool celestial phenomenon? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By my reckoning, it should be visible from a large swath of the northern hemisphere too.

2 Likes
1 Like

NASA launches guide to Lunar etiquette now that private operators will share the Moon with governments

NASA has laid out a new set of principles that it hopes will inform how states and private companies will interact on the Moon.

That’s mine, that’s mine…

1 Like
1 Like

This NASA poster set showcases the beauty of our solar system and beyond. Website links and an optional poster backs with orbit diagrams and context provide additional details and a deeper dive to explore our galactic neighborhood.

A scaled down version of our popular series of exploration posters.

This set includes 15 trading cards representating our solar system and beyond. Cards are 3 5/8 inches tall and 2 5/8 inches wide. A template for a foldable pouch is included.

4 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Douglas Loverro, NASA Associate Administrator for Human Exploration and Operations (HEO) has quit after less than six months in the post and less than two weeks before SpaceX are due to launch humans to the ISS.

2 Likes

Blighty is preparing for take-off as Edinburgh-based rocket-botherer Skyrora test-fired its Skylark-L rocket from a location in the heart of the Scottish Highlands.

1 Like

NASA renames dark-energy telescope after its first Chief of Astronomy and Mother of Hubble: Nancy Grace Roman

Video NASA has renamed its forthcoming Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST) after the agency’s first Chief of Astronomy, Nancy Grace Roman, who drove the Hubble project and pushed for a computing-based approach to sky scanning.

6 Likes

International space station testing Wi-Fi links with incoming craft, with an eye on autonomous docking

The Wi-Fi payload is called the “HTV Wireless LAN Demonstration” (WLD) and will, according to ISS logs, “demonstrate real-time wireless video transfer between the ISS and a visiting spacecraft.”

The rolling robot is a unit from “avatarin”, a company that Japanese airline ANA plans to use for virtual tourism. The robot being hoisted to the ISS will be installed near a window of the ISS’ Kibo module and made available to the public on terms to be revealed later this year.

2 Likes

i guess the fact that it’s an international space station lessens the worry about hacking feeds using satellites…

hmmm maybe our dystopian future isn’t quite here yet after all.

that’s not good

I misread that. I read the SpaceX Human Spaceflight boss quit a week before the SpaceX crew launch.

I could see some of them, but with the aid of a pair of binuculars.

3 Likes

Virgin Orbit at last ready to live up to its name: Branson’s other space adventure set for maiden flight this weekend

Virgin Orbit is set to fling a first payload to orbit with its Boeing 747-mounted LauncherOne.

The first launch opportunity will come on Sunday 24 May, with another the following day. The window for dropping LauncherOne is substantial: from 17:00 to 21:00 GMT.

2 Likes