9 Likes
10 Likes

7 Likes
10 Likes

10 Likes

And a woman in 1963.

4 Likes

Also not bad:

Supervillain Kidnappers Just Missed Their Best Chance To Kidnap The Richest Man On Earth

Includes plan of how to do it.

4 Likes

That’s even more plausible than this:

5 Likes

That’s where it always breaks down, logically, doesn’t it.
[insert generic Bad GuysTM organisation] using technology that would net them far more money than the demanded ransom for [insert generic Evil PlotTM] when marketed comercially.
Deployed from bases whose construction would have cost more than the ransom money would recoup.

(My background is is civil engineering. I enjoy watching films like this immensely, but I can’t do it without thinking about how the Secret LairTM would be constructed, and how long it would take, the cost, where to put the spoil from all the excavations, and so on.
And don’t even get me started on health & safety.
I do adore Ken Adam’s production/set designs, though.)

2 Likes

Some other link :smirk:

Timothy Leary, who is now as enthusiastic about space as he once was about LSD, attracted a full house to one conference meeting room to hear him address the subject of “The Psychological Effects of High-Orbital Migration.” Relaxed and healthy looking in a gray suit and open pink shirt, Leary was introduced as an “ethologist” and “the unofficial advertising arm of North American Rockwell.” He warmed to the applause and began, “It is always my pleasure to be at a place like this surrounded by people who share my visions of high altitudes and fast movement and precise linkups.” A few of the corporate scientists at the back of the room, not exactly sure they shared Leary’s visions, exchanged odd grins.

Leary proceeded to pay tribute to space pioneers Daedalus, Icarus, Leonardo da Vinci, “Wernher von Braun and his brilliant crew from Peenemunde,” Goddard, Homer, Gilgamesh, George Lucas and Pink Floyd, among others, and to lash out at “members of the so-called turned-on generation of the Sixties” who want to limit technology. “When Ralph Nader tells me that he wants my car to be slow, cheap, ugly and slow, he’s imposing a way of life on me that I’m going to resist to the bitter end.” Applause.

“I’m talking now to the hardware people,” Leary resumed, “and the aerospace tycoons in this audience, and I’m saying. ‘You guys are the evolutionary visionaries. . . . We’re reviewing in these rooms right now the most exciting ideas since sex.”‘ (In fact, the prospect of zero-gravity sex was a common topic of conversation among L-5 members in the hallways.)

The only problem with the space movement, Leary said, is that it hasn’t been properly sold to the public. But, he assured his audience, he was working on that. “I’ve been very busy in Hollywood. In the last six months I have – dare I use the word? – ‘turned on’ three Academy Award-winning scriptwriters to the inevitability, to the romance, to the challenge and to the excitement of space migration. So be of good cheer.”

Midway to his conclusion (“Why are we going to space? . . . It’s the best place to be free”), Leary paused to praise “the greatest American since Christopher Columbus.” He was referring, as most people in his audience immediately knew, to Gerard O’Neill.

2 Likes

Jesus. Didn’t know Leary was a Nazi sympathizer.

4 Likes

Apparently he said “Everybody gets the Timothy Leary they deserve.” If the rumors of him being social chameleon are true I really don’t want to be in the same room with that audience.

3 Likes

This moral blindness was not unusual at the time, especially among his audience. Peenemunde as the site of rocket development overshadowed Peenemunde as the site of nazi atrocities.

4 Likes

Yep. Doesn’t make the statement any less jaw-dropping, though.

4 Likes

Pipe down, Jeff. You’ve only gone where Gus Grissom went before, 60 years ago today

Somewhat lost in the hubbub over Jeff Bezos’ jaunt into space is the 60th anniversary of Virgil “Gus” Grissom’s suborbital flight aboard Liberty Bell 7.

The mission was the second Mercury capsule crewed by a human and followed Alan Shepard’s flight on 5 May 1961. Both missions were suborbital vertical launches atop a Mercury-Redstone booster (derived from the Redstone ballistic missile).

[…]

Some good book tips, too.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Perhaps a manned probe could help confirm these simulations. Beware of tides.

:laughing:

6 Likes