Spaaaaace (Part 1)

2 Likes

Any moment now, the greeting card companies will step in.

3 Likes

Iā€™d just like to note that the position of First Woman on the Moon is still open, but frankly Iā€™d be happy if the position of ā€œFirst Person on the Moon before all previous people croakā€ is filled soon, and who cares what astro-bathroom they use? (NB: a strong right hook seems to be advantageous for the position.)

4 Likes
1 Like

It all makes sense now.

1 Like
1 Like

[Spacepalm.gif]

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Not to mention, the debris nearly hit Captain Invincible.

3 Likes
1 Like

Poor asteroid probably came from a broken home.

University of Hawaii team records self-destructing asteroid

Astronomers once thought asteroids were boring, wayward space rocks that simply orbit around the sun. Only in science fiction movies were they dramatic, changing objects.

New observations are turning science fiction into science fact, showing that asteroids are anything but dull. Asteroid Gault, discovered in 1998, has begun to slowly disintegrate. The crumbling was first detected earlier this year on January 5, by the University of Hawaii at Manoa Institute for Astronomy (IfA) Asteroid Terrestrial-Impact Last Alert System (ATLAS) telescopes on Mauna Loa and Haleakala. Later investigation proved there were no asteroid collisions.

1 Like

This sounds like the setup to an old school video game. the next scene should be a little astronaut at the bottom of the screen shooting lasers at space debris as it threatens the space station. Even though i know if that was possible it would only make things worse as you just have a lot more smaller pieces. unlike asteroids, im not sure theres a point at which you can shoot the pieces enough times that they just disappear.

3 Likes

side note: the title of this thread makes it hard to find. I searched for space, then i searched for spaace, then spaaace, then spaaaace, before i finally hit on spaaaaace and found it.

2 Likes

More on Asteroid Gault (sounds like a Ayn Rand skiffy character):

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Gamma ray bursts:

2 Likes