Spaaaaace

any idea why the capsule is blue and purple? it looks like space camo or something.

( what is nasa not telling us!? /s )

It’s the thermal protection system. The “nose cone” is called the “backshell”
To some degree, it’s explained here:
Orion Aerosciences and Thermal Protection System Overview

1 Like

Not mentioned though is that the blue-ish color is from the aluminum cover that covers the thermal protection system. This layer protects the tiles from scratches during movement and handling of Orion, and is reflective to protect against the cold of space, but burns away upon reentry to allow the tiles to do their thing.

ETA: spelling

7 Likes

Now that makes sense. Thanks.

nice! thanks for the explanation. that makes a lot sense. and i’m guessing the mottling then is from different amounts of heat ( or cold ) at launch?

hmmm… guess that also means we know what the capstone of the washington monument will look like after it launches… :thinking:

Celebrate Joe Biden GIF by Biden Inauguration Committee

3 Likes

I don’t know for sure the reason for the mottling. There may have been some scorching from the jettison of the launch abort system (LAS) rocket. I think the main difference is the type of aluminum used in each location.

NASA has a Flickr page (really!) that has some nice high resolution images. You can see that the aluminum is applied in strips and there appears to be a coating of resin or epoxy over it. Some areas have no aluminum and you can see the exposed thermal protection tiles, almost the same as what was used on the space shuttle.

Imgur

This image also shows reflections off the solar panel array

6 Likes
1 Like

I think Japan are playing fast and loose with their “Acronyms”

3 Likes
1 Like

There are worse:

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1165639971169943553

3 Likes

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has released details of an investigation that alleged the results of an experiment simulating life on board the International Space Station were fabricated with large amounts of altered data.

[…]

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

… what do they think “sci-fi” means :confused:

5 Likes

Never-before-seen minerals discovered in a big metal meteorite unearthed in Africa and none of them are being named “Vibranium??” That’s a missed opportunity for sure. They aren’t calling any of them Kryptonite either.

5 Likes

Thats nothing. I discover new minerals and life forms any time I retrieve dishes from my daughter’s bedroom

7 Likes

Civilizations even!

7 Likes