7 Likes
6 Likes

China’s Chang’e-6 lunar probe packs rocks and rolls back to Earth

8 Likes

It Crowd Maurice Moss GIF

7 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

New model suggests partner anti-universe could explain accelerated expansion without the need for dark energy

7 Likes

So evil twins are a thing! Even the universe has one. Does it have a goatee?

6 Likes

This looks like it may suffer the same issue as string theory. Is it testable, is it falsifiable? If not, then it is an interesting exercise in mathematics, but does it apply, and can we ever know?

6 Likes

The universe isn’t expanding. Matter is shrinking.

6 Likes

Just watched today’s Starship launch. One of the 33 engines on the booster appeared to fail on the way up, and one other one looks like it had a glitch when relighting for the boost back burn, but apparently they had enough margin to compensate and the launch seemed to be successful overall. The booster made a soft splashdown without breaking up this time.

Watching all this stuff live and in HD with onboard cameras is certainly different from when I was a kid.

The Starship hasn’t reentered the atmosphere yet so we’ll see how that goes.

Update: that reentry was crazy to watch! One camera had a great video of one of the fins overheating and slowly breaking apart starting about 58 minutes into the flight. It looked like something out of a scifi movie. Eventually the camera lens was too cracked and covered in debris to see much, but apparently they did maintain a communication signal and the thing was able to do a controlled splashdown this time, at least somewhat intact. Clearly still a lot of work to do though. Yikes…

10 Likes

Blazing James Mcavoy GIF

3 Likes

kinda looked like the second stage engines were damaged again after shutdown. and again they didnt relit the engines of the second stage (e/ at least not before reentry). and there were lots of colors during re-entry you absolutly dont want to see. it was burning. that wasnt just plasma, the ship was burning. my guess the engine compartment was completly destroyed. so much for reusability. oh, sorry, rapid reusability.

2 Likes

Some of them may have been damaged but they did relight some of them for landing. I don’t think they could have done a soft landing on the water otherwise.

And yes, definitely a lot of stuff got burned up in the reentry. You could see tiles falling off the fin and metal melting.

3 Likes

The rocket made it back to Earth in much the same way that the Bluesmobile made it to Chicago.

IMG_1454

13 Likes

I was thinking of Crowley’s car from Good Omens.
images

7 Likes
3 Likes

telemetry showed nothing. but after rewatching I think youre right. still, theyre not near having a reliable system at all. and it didnt really made it into orbit again. and again without even a dummy load.

2 Likes