Spaaaaace

4 Likes
1 Like

i recently watched the iss as a small point of light streaking across the sky. so, ummm… yeah pretty much the same :grimacing:

2 Likes

So do I. It was like a small airplane racing through the clouds. I even tried to make a video, but I failed miserably.

Maybe next time…

You can check out the spatial schedule here:

2 Likes

We see what you did there: First-stage booster from Rocket Lab’s Return to Sender mission floats back to Earth

4 Likes

A lot of people in northeastern Brazil thought 2020 got stranger.

They looked at the sky and saw a curious bright spot.

The aliens had arrived! Some people shouted.

No, it was just a chinese rocket flying toward to the Moon.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Physicists wrap neutrino detector in cosy blanket to shed light on the Sun’s secondary fusion cycle

As we near the northern winter solstice, the Sun continues to produce a steady power output of 384.6 yottawatts resulting from the fusion of hydrogen into helium in two distinct nuclear reactions. Direct observation of the secondary cycle was published in the journal Nature for the first time yesterday.

3 Likes
1 Like

Forever alone?

2 Likes

“our own evolution on Earth was pure luck.” that’s a good tag line, but that’s not exactly an accurate summary of evolution. natural selection is an actual process, not gambling. you get something even if not exactly us.

as for us, we’re only here to notice because we’re here to notice. if we weren’t here, there wouldn’t be anyone to consider it bad luck that we werent.

we don’t really have enough data to know how frequently life arises. nor to know how frequently it rises to self awareness. or even really, i guess, to know how many self aware species are even on our own planet. ( chimps, whales, dolphins, long lived cuttlefish… im looking at you. )

we do have some idea that there’s been at least a few non sapien tool users and makers here. which might be good luck. not many internet users, granted. but having internet users might be bad luck. i think…

10 Likes

Has anyone else seen “For All Mankind”? I’ve binged the first season. It’s alternative history where the Soviets beat us to the moon in 1969 and takes it from there. Prompting social/political changes as well.

Interesting premise, love watching depictions of old school space travel but it’s way too much “Mad Men in Spaaace!!!” Too many fictional characters acting like dillholes or unrealistically.

2 Likes

The potentially observable universe (limited by the speed of light) is 46 billion light years across. Due to the early inflation period, the universe that we will never be able to see has been estimated by some to be a thousand times larger than that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was somewhere in that vastness another earth just like ours by random chance. And certainly random chance produced another place where life of some kind has evolved.

11 Likes
1 Like

Another one crossed through the sky of Japan yesterday.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Rock and roll: China’s probe orbits the Moon while Japan brings home bits of asteroid

An exciting week is in the offing for space fans as China’s Chang’e 5 prepares for a lunar landing and Japan’s Hayabusa2 is set to return its precious cargo to Earth.

2 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes