Spaaaaace

1 Like

Orolia inks €70m deal to provide atomic clocks for second generation of EU’s Galileo navigation satellites

1 Like

Amazon says Elon Musk’s wicked, wicked ways mean SpaceX’s Starlink 2.0 should not be allowed to fly

Amazon.com has written a very-colorfully-worded letter to the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), urging it to take a strong stance when considering SpaceX’s satellite broadband business because Elon Musk is a cheat who messes things up – for those who need better internet connections, and totally not for Amazon itself.

[…]

1 Like

James Webb Space Telescope penciled in for launch this century. Yes, Dec 18, 2021

The long-awaited James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is set to launch – surprise, surprise – a little later than expected. Space agencies in America, Europe, and Canada said on Wednesday they’re now aiming for December 18, 2021 rather than October.

[…]

4 Likes
6 Likes

Is snaffled the proper term for space huffing?

4 Likes

Astro Pi 2: New Raspberry Pi hardware with updated camera, sensors to head to the ISS this year

1 Like

Boffins say Martian colonists could pee in buckets, give blood if they want shelter

[…]

At this point, we at The Register formally propose that this technique should henceforth be known as the Churchill method, since it offers nothing but blood, soil, tears and sweat. We freely admit that Churchill did not mention urine in his famous speech of May 13 1940, but we feel it is implied due to the suggestion he was frequently pissed and may have been so when he delivered it.

Dr Roberts pointed out to us that the University of Manchester team went with the name AstroCrete, but he kindly added: “Please feel free to use the reference to Churchill.”

2 Likes
5 Likes

But only for four years.

2 Likes

There’s a conversion table somewhere that calculates the mass of an impact or based on the duration of the flash. Maybe I can find it again.

2 Likes

And this is when Nuclear Salt Water rockets come into play. The radiation risks imparted by such an heroic drive are outweighed by the risks of traveling any slower.

1 Like

The problem with space cowboys

https://thespacereview.com/article/4244/1

Cool.

I didn’t know about this propulsion system. I had heard of plans to use atomic explosions to move rockets between planets. Since space is already quite radioactive, scattering isotopes there wouldn’t cause much of a problem, scientists say.

It appears that Sir Arthur Clarke wanted the 2001 spacecraft to use atomic bombs to travel to Jupiter. Mr. Kubrick declined the idea, thinking that people would think it was a joke with the movie “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”.

1 Like

disappear rocket league GIF

2 Likes