Space: 1999 Season 1 on Blu-Ray

There’s always the mall.

2 Likes

And sometimes the shoulder-to-waist V design.

This is awesome news, I loved this show. I don’t miss Maya though, I always felt the show kind of jumped the shark when she came along. It was just silly.

Now for UFO on Bluray!

1 Like

Love the design of the moon base and the eagles. I think they both hold up very well. The computers, not so much. I like both versions of the uniforms too. I must admit I got kind of bored with season two. Every time I see Maya, I can’t help but think of the short lived 80s tv series ‘Manimal’.

I’d love to see the Space: 2099 moderation effort get funding. I know there’s a reboot being considered with the Space: 2099 name, which would probably doom the already small chance of revamping the original version but if the reboot was really successful maybe it would generate enough interest for the original series for the clean up to be funded.

Ah happy days. Going to my pals house (because he had a colour tv) to watch Space 1999. I had the Eagle toy as well.

Ok, production value didn’t suck, this was the most highly polished turd ever to see air time.

1 Like

Not if I can help it!

I love the first season! It is thoughtful, though not brilliant. For better or worse, it was the first series I’d seen which tried to be accurate enough to depict space travel as being actually dangerous. And the production of the miniatures, sets, etc was better than most movies at the time. Very stylish and well-crafted.

But if the first season was written for the curious 15-25 year olds - season two was written for bored 6-12 year olds. Whatever brains it had went out the window. I can only imagine how embarrassing it must have been for the cast. The first episode of the second season even boasts a villain of BRIAN MAUX FAUX BLESSED, and it still manages to be utterly dull and nonsensical.

Forty something Brits probably all carry the emotional scarring of the horrible glowy be-tentacled monster in ‘Dragon’s Domain’. It’s one of those generational things like remembering your first sight of Davros or Sutekh’s giant robot mummies.

Series 1 of Space 1999 had some seriously dark moments and I have to disagree with the original poster, the special effects are still superb.

3 Likes

Was it the die-cast Dinky Eagle? I had one of those and they were the best toy ever at the time. Mine got played into oblivion re-enacting the all-too frequent crashes from the original series. They are worth a fortune these days.

1 Like

I remember anticipating this show’s arrival when I was five, and really enjoying it. When I was older and it went into syndication I struggled on Saturdays to get a decent signal in order to watch it, twisting our antenna this way and that. Much later when Netflix came into being, Space 1999 Vols. 1-4 were some of the first discs I requested. I found it so awful that I could only watch a couple of episodes. It wasn’t the poor quality of the DVDs, it was the acting, dialog, and stories that got to me. Needless to say, I was disappointed; I thought my younger self had better taste.

As for this disc set; $143 is completely f’ing insane. Tho I do find amusing that Amazon will only give you “… up to $1.00” as trade-in value.

1 Like

Loved the Eagle, but always wanted a Hawk. Only one I ever saw was a bazillion dollar crap garage-kit.
So much disappoint…

3D printer file anyone?

Was that the one that colonized a cockpit module and spit out packets of the bones of its victims, like an owl? That episode gave five-year-old me nightmares for a lonnnng time.

The price of this set is way more expensive now then when it was first released. Looks like the link goes to a third party seller who jacked the price up. As for Maya, hidden on the first season collection is the first episode of the second season, The Metamorph.

Must be out of print.

The “Dragon” episode was scary as hell.

Maya’s dumbest transformation was when she turned into a Kendo master so she could smack someone with a practice sword.

1 Like

The best of the Andersons’ myriad series was Stingray. The ones that come later took themselves too seriously, especially UFO and Space 1999.

Several of these series are on Hulu, by the way.

The British model maker Airfix made a plastic kit in the 1970s; if you’re lucky you might be able to find an original kit assuming the moulds haven’t been sold on to another company.

I had one, it met a glorious death in combat thanks to the judicious use of lighter fluid and steel wool.

2 Likes

That’s the one, welcome to our collective nightmare.

We should form a therapy group.

And don’t forget the episode with the ghost which had a half burned face - that really scared me. And the guy waking up in a glass coffin…

Between that and Doctor Who I did not have many restful nights.

I used to have one of these:

I played with that thing until there wasn’t a fiddly bit left on it. Lots and lots of nuclear waste accidents at my kitchen table!

1 Like