Space Glitter Telescope seeks distant stars and exoplanets

[Permalink]

This article is even more entertaining to read with the Cloud to Butt Chrome extension.

1 Like

Launched on a Unicorn, I hope!

1 Like

What happens when some of the glitter escapes and a satellite, astronaut or something smacks into it with a velocity differential of 18,000 miles per hour?

I think you would only do this sort of thing well away from Earth where gravitational fields are gentle and passing traffic is rare. Its more of an asteroid belt type of thing.

1 Like

Ah.

So the researchers have demonstrated making intelligible images using glitter placed on a curved surface.

Now, all they have to figure out is the “how to trap a cloud of glitter and (mostly) align its bits in the correct curvature in an outer-space microgravity environment using lasers” part.

Well, at least it’s not a really hard problem, right?

(-:

1 Like

Indeed. And it seems like it gets worse… It’s “easy” to remove the speckle from a fixed placement of glitter: Removing speckle from particulates that are floating in space (and thus each have micro-rotations/translations going on) is going to be a tad bit trickier.

Damn! Ambitious, much? Bring it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just the other day I was talking space glitter to my cat, don’t cha know.

Are the Oort Cloud and Kuiper Belt too dirty and far away to make use of with something like this concept?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.