Watching a sphere of water bubble in space in 4K resolution: Yup, pretty cool

[Read the post]

4 Likes

I wanna be a space a man!

6 Likes

Wish they had a black background so that one could see the little eruptions better.

4 Likes

That was pretty damn cool. Thanks Xeni!

1 Like

Could this be leveraged for e.g. making polymer foam structures in zero-g?

1 Like

Only if polymer foam structures are worth $500 million to you.

2 Likes

In orbit, they could serve as protection against micrometeorites and other small but annoying space crap, possibly could also protect against gamma and other lasers as ablative shields, and capsules that inflate into large foam balls could be part of decoy array for ICBM delivery vehicles.

$500m suddenly looks like a bargain price.

Edit: Make the thing UV-cured with added degradable UV absorbent, and spin the capsule at ejection. It should foam up, and after short time the UV absorbent gets spent and the surface hardens, preventing the collapse of the sphere.

1 Like

That was really, really cool! I like how the little bubbles shot out and started to orbit the main ball sometimes.

Man, that has to be incredible to see such a thing in person.

Damnit, I’m tired of the military getting money thrown at it hand and fist Fry style but NASA giving us stuff like this, however trivial scientifically, but awe inspiring, and getting jack squat.

This is the kind of stuff that makes kids want to BE astronauts. Can we get a mission where all they do is try weird stuff like this in Zero-G, and we get to give them submissions of stuff to do?

Elephant Toothpaste in Zero G! I gotta see that

7 Likes

The drops shooting off from the exploding bubbles are fascinating. Some larger ones just zip away, some smaller ones seems to get diverted by air currents. And then some seem to be attracted back. I wonder if the drops have a small static charge and so does the ball, and they almost show ballistic 1/r^2 gravitational attraction, except of course it is electrostatic.

Neat.

3 Likes

Ah, that explains the white splotch on Pluto.

There are several videos of astronauts blowing bubbles inside of water spheres too. Pretty awesome.

All those tiny little water spheres heading towards critically sensitive electrical equipment must be keeping the station’s nanobot cleaners awfully busy mind.

2 Likes

How do they get anything done other than just screwing around with water all day?

1 Like

I can’t be the only one who wants to see diet coke and mentos in space.

Actually, even just a carbonated beverage might be interesting to look at.

1 Like

“In space” as in zero-g, or in vacuum, or in zero-g and vacuum?
I for one would love to see all three!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.