Space station astronauts have a new floating AI robot companion

Its german build, so maybe?

3 Likes
4 Likes

Uncanny valley for sure…

wheatley

12 Likes

Yes. Perfect.

Given the reported, prevalent odor in the ISS (that being of the “boy’s gym locker room’ variety”), AI companions would be welcome.

Uhhh… the one with the USB port… I think.

1 Like
6 Likes

13 Likes

tumblr_lxz4byXDM61qgn2xvo3_250

10 Likes

I’m waiting for TARS.

2 Likes

At 5:21 CIMON asks to

be nice, please

and my heart just melted.

AND THEN:

(What’s more Disney than a mad scientist imprisoned in a robot carcass and condemned to a burning hell dimension populated only by the shambling cyborg zombie corpses of the crew he lobotomized? The answer is none. None more Disney.)

/tangent

4 Likes

I’m not surprised to see Watson pop up in another mediagenic stunt; but I’m really not seeing the point here.

The ISS has used lightly modified(for thermal and electrical compatibility) laptops for years; it’s not far out enough to require anything terribly exotic and rad hard; and unless there have been upgrades since then it has a 300mb down/ 25mb up link with mission control; which the Airbus press release says had a .4 second delay to/from the datacenter where the Watson stuff was happening. 800 millisecond ping kind of sucks; but not nearly enough to be technologically exotic.

So, aside from a coating of ‘in space!’ we basically learned that, yes, a cloud-connected surveillance puck can do speech to text well enough to answer questions.

I’m sure there were excellent reasons why it took a joint Swiss/German research team, an aerospace contractor, IBM; and some ISS mission time to demonstrate that; rather than, say, your choice of consumer electronics surveillance pucks and a lousy DSL connection. Or, if your grantwriting hasn’t been going so well lately; just your cellphone somewhere on campus where the signal is mediocre, to reduce hardware costs.

2 Likes

I don’t think we can safely dismiss the possibility of Watson having a prurient and somewhat fetishistic interest in humans. The below is an actual Watson ad IBM actually paid to have run; and its vision of a closer reflection of ‘who we really are’ is a trifle less straightlaced(except the posture collar, it looks pretty straightlaced) than I would have expected from a notoriously staid tech company.

3 Likes

What your AI is packaged in does matter.

4 Likes

Maybe the goal is to increase the level of AI assistance over time, especially with projects including more civilians in space. If so, it’s better to have Watson than Alexa.

2 Likes

Came looking for the inevitable ‘Companion Cube*’ from Portal references, leaving satisfied.

(Yes, pedants; I know people posted personality core spheres… it’s still close enough)

9 Likes

I bet if they get real clever, they’ll find a way to fuck it.