Speaker Mike Johnson shamelessly frets about expelling George Santos (video)

Originally published at: Johnson frets about ousting Santos

6 Likes

Truly a dangerous precedent! If we start expelling members who commit serious crimes, there would be no Republicans serving in Congress at all!

15 Likes

If he’s expecting GOP representatives to vote their consciences, is he going for “we don’t have quorum to hold this vote because so many members are out looking for snipes”?

3 Likes

Funny how he doesn’t seem to mind Santos being gay and a drag queen.

IOIYAR; even for confirmed anti queer bigots.

Why doesn’t the press ask him about this?

4 Likes

guitar-fret-57254e455f9b589e34de896a

8 Likes

“Hold people responsible for what they did? What is this world coming to?”

Accountability is like sunlight to these amoral ghouls.

nosferatu-vampire

5 Likes

The dems who didn’t vote for this last time said they were waiting for the report, which is now done, so assumedly they vote to expel.

That means they need only, what, like 5 repubs to do the right thing? Why do I feel this is a stretch? Why does this make me so annoyed?

4 Likes

Translation: “We’re probably going to have more legislators who are just as bad as Santos and we’d hate to have to get rid of them too.”

5 Likes

I was fine with the “let’s wait and see what the Ethics Committee says” approach. And the bipartisan Ethics Committee not only unanimously agreed that George Santos probably committed a lot of crimes but unanimously referred the issue to the Justice Department. So, no, this isn’t a partisan affair.

It’s now painfully clear that George Santos committed actual crimes and engaged in other non-crime, but still morally compromising, conduct, like lying about pretty much every part of his life. His own district overwhelmingly despises him. He’s currently under indictment for several crimes. His continued presence stains the House, and as a tactical matter, Republicans should welcome his expulsion because then they won’t have to talk about him anymore. The two-thirds majority requirement for expelling someone from the House is high for a reason: it’s for extraordinary situations. This seems to be one of them.

7 Likes

He says here that it’s been precedent up til now to only expel people from Congress who have been convicted of a crime. That is technically true, but Bob Packwood absolutely was going to be expelled from the Senate in 1995 without having been convicted of a crime. The Ethics Committee, led by fellow Republican Mitch McConnell, unanimously recommended expulsion. Packwood summoned what little dignity he had left and resigned before they could do it. By the way, that seat ended up going to a Democrat in a special election, and McConnell later said they knew that was the likely result, but they recommended expulsion anyway because it was the right thing to do. My, how times have changed.

9 Likes

Power, and not Christ, is the only thing Xtianists worship.

3 Likes

this is part of the reason they might actually vote to keep him. they’re happy to do anything to avoid addressing their own accountability, or any of the things that need to get done.

3 Likes

my little pony rimshot GIF

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.