Spectacular, tiny room hidden behind a hinged electrical outlet cover

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/19/secret-base-of-kubito.html

12 Likes

Not bad for a hole-in-the-wall.

14 Likes

What I find most interesting about this, is finding someone using Bing.

9 Likes

I wonder what the rent is on that place in Tokyo.

17 Likes

Some rodent in going to be really happy.

8 Likes

Really amazing detail. The lamp on the desk even works. Going with an old CRT computer monitor is an odd choice. Maybe they don’t make 1’’ flat screens

7 Likes

Wow. This is so adorably cool, I can’t even handle it.

6 Likes

Looks like Arrietty moved to the city.

5 Likes

More than you can afford.

4 Likes

It’s not “Kubito,” it’s “Kobito”—which means (directly translated, and I think also in spirit) “little person.”

3 Likes

Hammy the Hamstersan’s office?

Excellent concept and props by Mozu.

3 Likes

The tiny hidden room really hit me. When I was a little kid, we lived in a place with slatted hardwood flooring. While in bed, I used to fancifully imagine pulling up one of the slats in my bedroom, revealing a miniature tunnel, very brightly lit and containing the busy traffic of sleek futuristic vehicles zooming in and out of our place. I think I understand Mozu!

6 Likes

Completely unrealistic. That CRT has way too flat front glass.

The Borrowers are sending out change of address cards.

I beg to differ.
Late CRT monitors and TV got a flat screen surface

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN7bTUFlPe0lp7eYVDw1X9zvrcBXiaM5rctHGW1ZWFaJW_K6Sj&s

4 Likes

I like the style of it. Also, more space for the lighting inside.

3 Likes

Surely, some driven artist out there has done a tinier room hidden inside a tiny room.

1 Like

Some did, sure (I had an LG Flatron monitor myself), but they were quite rare as CRTs went. A few series from a few manufacturers at most. And of course I don’t count “flat”-glassed TVs that were actually curved but had a flat piece of glass placed in front of the actual CRT.

1 Like

Your move, tiny house enthusiasts. :grinning:

If you have to ask… :wink:

Flat screen CRT monitors were a thing for a few years before cheap high-res color LCDs. You can still get them on eBay, though I don’t think they made them quite that small…

z820

Maybe it was just Microcenter and PC Magazine where I did most of my computer shopping in the 90’s, but I remember them being quite common.

4 Likes

Not only that, but it’s showing an “About MacOS” screen in the classic style and the computer is a Power Macintosh 7600. Recognisable on the floppy drive slot.

2 Likes