Spies, Lies and Realpolitik

2 Likes

Nothing to see here. Move along…

4 Likes
1 Like

The Guardian has coverage of this…

5 Likes

depends on whether you think FISA rubber stamps documents. If it does, then the two regimes (tame court in the US, no court in HK) don’t materially differ.

Calibrate your cynicism accordingly.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware that was an active topic of debate!

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

They’ve been playing footsie for while in regards to mining. China wants the minerals and have the (slave) labor to get it out of the ground.

5 Likes
4 Likes

US really has to rethink its strategy when the Muslim hating country of china is seen as a better commercial partner than the US by Afghanistan.

I mean: when does the American establishment, Repugs and Dems alike, realise that Kissenger’s realpolitik isn’t, and never was, all that? When it’s too late?

3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

She isn’t being “sent” there, Poland was the country that agreed to give her a humanitarian visa. Others didn’t, so it’s not like she has a lot of choice. And I don’t see why she would be safer in another country, it’s not like assassinations by Eastern European governments don’t happen in Western Europe.

6 Likes

At the time it was reported multiple countries offered including Germany and France. She chose Poland.

2 Likes

Fair, but my point still stands. She chose it, she wasn’t sent.

3 Likes

Absolutely, she had other choices though. She may have chosen Poland for family reasons for all I know.

2 Likes