Spies, Lies and Realpolitik

NSA: We ‘don’t know when or even if’ a quantum computer will ever be able to break today’s public-key encryption

3 Likes

Dave Farber’s IP List has a good response to a question on the state of quantum computing.

Re: [IP] : [Cryptography] Quantum computers and the Government
September 1st, 2021

Everyone benefits from secure communications, and yes preserving them is crucial. The more digital a nation the more it stands to lose from weakened cybersecurity. The NSA understands this too (of course in its own schizophrenic manner.), and it is publishing its own recommendations for quantum-based and quantum-safe cryptography.
https://www.nsa.gov/what-we-do/cybersecurity/post-quantum-cybersecurity-resources/

2 Likes
4 Likes

This is why news sites should not have comment sections.

5 Likes
2 Likes

It’s not required?

2 Likes

Sadly, we’re unlikely to see as apt a parody as Bloom County’s… :thinking: :grin:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Insofar as the BBS is a comments section of Boing, I think it does okay at keeping out the Russians.

2 Likes
3 Likes

No jail time?

1 Like

“The charges were filed under a deferred prosecution agreement that, in addition to requiring a $1.68 million payment, will also force the men to cooperate with the Justice Department’s investigation and to sever any ties with any UAE intelligence or law enforcement agencies. If they comply with those terms for three years, the Justice Department will not move forward with any prosecution.”

Leverage and three years of looking over their shoulders.

2 Likes

Watching My Spy right now. A tough CIA operative is blackmailed by a 9 year old girl into teaching her spycraft.

Ken Jeong and Kristen Schall play supporting roles-- so, yeah, it’s that kind of spy movie.

1 Like

Also media YouTube channels. I feel it’s at the point where the CBC should just disable comments and likes/dislikes.

3 Likes

ETA:

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

AI gun turrets?

That seems like a slightly bad idea.

4 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes