Spoiler thread

And now I’ve spoiled the secret of the Beastie Boys’ funky beat.

"Take a single bar of music and divide it into 16 notes. Put a kick drum on the first, seventh, and eleventh notes—and a snare hit on the fifth and thirteenth—and you have yourself a funky beat…

Additionally, this is how drum machines are programmed. The programmer selects which individual sixteenth-note will be turned “on” (i.e., triggering the sound), thereby creating said funky beat.
In this particular example, the Beasties do, indeed, have their “kicks” on the one (beat one of the bar), seven (the “and” of beat two), and eleven (the “and” of beat three) and their “snares on the five and thirteen” (beats two and four, respectively)."

1 Like

#You’re welcome!

h1 doesn’t get hidden very well

1 Like

These go to eleven

#Y O U ’ R E   T E L L I N G   M E

##Y O U ’ R E   T E L L I N G   M E

###Y O U ’ R E   T E L L I N G   M E

####Y O U ’ R E   T E L L I N G   M E

#####Y O U ’ R E   T E L L I N G   M E

######Y O U ’ R E   T E L L I N G   M E

######YOU’RE TELLING ME

######You’re telling me

######You’re telling me

######You’re telling me

######You’re telling me

2 Likes

7 Likes

Megan Amram (@meganamram) | Twitter

Warning: The following contains TV spoilers:

Spoilers

1 Like

▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿"▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿…▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿… ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿ ͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇͇̿̿̿̿…▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▒̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿"

2 Likes

Ugh, I’d say that’s a bad UI/security bug

@codinghorror what do you think about this:

Hi, I’m a secret spoiler that you really want to see!

(@crenquis’s version above manages to do away with the red line, by magic tricks.)

(Also, it doesn’t look like you can @-someone, like @codinghorror, in a spoiler. Or at least, the name doesn’t turn into a link

At least the obscured links do show up in the browser’s statusbar when one hovers over them

1 Like

What do you think, @codinghorror?

What do you think, <a href=“http://bbs.boingboing.net/users/codinghorror”>@codinghorror</a>?

There’s a screenshot here. Which you may not see if you’re using Firefox. LIKE ME.

oh now THAT is interesting

Yeah, but you’re not looking down there if you’re just expecting to reveal a spoiler.

Also… why isn’t my link working now? I’m sure it was a moment ago. Why does yours work?

Look at post #14 above – it requires a bit of finagling

Try this:

@OtherMichael

edit: works like other spoiler links i.e. goes directly to link

Interesting. I see that your spoiler link is underlined. Perhaps regular users don’t get the underline…

What’s the specific issue? I can’t dig through all these clicks.

you could have done this as a linked-topic, you know.

sigh

Edit: man, I am not good at this…

1 Like

Woah. @codinghorror, do you see what I see above?

In Chrome and FF, logged in or not, I see the two posts above flickering like crazy. Unless I put my mouse over one of the spoilt gifs, both of them just keep flickering in and out. I also don’t see the horizontal rule between @crenquis’s two posts, and his second avatar image is flickering in and out.

A screenshot showing a half-flickered image and no second avatar or h-rule: