Square dancing was a racist hoax funded by Henry Ford to get white people to stop dancing to black music

Now that would have been ironic.

12 Likes

The real question is why does it appear that Ford and the guy next to him have casts on.

6 Likes

Exactly.

@CCecil, wondered about that, too.

1 Like

some early dance styles are depicted in this documentary,

https://youtu.be/LJaG7l4T9P8

2 Likes

Total bullshit. Like, a staggering amount of bullshit. Stop posting bullshit, Cory.

That predates Henry Ford by centuries.

10 Likes

4 Likes

Don’t fall for the trap! Oh wait, too late.

3 Likes

There as square dancing in both of my elementary schools, in NJ and in NC

I always felt there was something phony and a bit authoritarian about the mandatory square dancing in my middle school gym classes.

Late 90s into early 00s at that. I recall having it thrust upon our gym classes monthly when I was in middle school around then.

Contra-dancing is a Bonapartists plot.

2 Likes

In it’s current cookie-cutter form, with formal clubs and a movement to have it declared the official folk dance of this or that jurisdiction, yes.

But as a dance style, it dates back to the middle ages, and will probably outlive dozens of other dances that have come and gone in the 20th century.

Cory Doctorow’s lazy, sensationalistic, shoddily researched blogging is so frequent that I have come to discount most everything he says. Which is a pity since that means that I am less likely to pick up a book he recommends, less likely to think well of a cause he promotes, etc. It also means I have added him to my list of authors to avoid.

9 Likes

Someone had ways of making them talk.

1 Like

You beat me to it; factual or not, urban legend or not, the endeavor to “get White folks to quit dancing to Black music” failed epically…

SMH

ETA:

Everyone bitching about Corey’s writing needs to get a clue, already; he ain’t gon’ change and you’re still here, commenting… so clearly, it doesn’t bother y’all quite that much.

16 Likes

Or make a video of it! /s

1 Like

Cory exaggerate? That’s unpossible!

13 Likes

as an avid twitter user, i have to agree. tweet threads are a bane – they never show up right in 3rd party (read: mobile) apps, and viewing twitter on a browser is a nightmare. i wish they never implemented them. please just post a link to the full piece on Medium or something, tyvm

6 Likes

It’s interesting just how much the quadrille couples dancing was spread by returning soldiers from the Napoleonic wars. There are links between English Country dancing, Scottish Country dancing, Irish Ceili and Scots Ceilidh and Contra dances.

Its also not for old folks either, all these types of group folk dancing as still popular and gaining among young people. I should know I’ve been playing fiddle for Irish dances for 18 years.

6 Likes

Not to be pedantic and though I like bluegrass, that would be old time music. Bluegrass was a later branch.

Don’t tell Ford about…

6 Likes

Ah, 3rd grade gym class (so, 1963?). Quite fun, esp. compared to calisthenics. If you were good at it, you got to dance at “halftime” in the bi-semester Cake Walks (also a lot of fun).

After sixth grade, my K-9 single-building school district merged with the town district…us country bumpkins cut quite a figure in high school when we would reunite in the parking to grind out impromptu square dances to tunes from Led Zep, Stones, Stevie Wonder.

(Never have figured out if early square dance training doomed me to become a wooden leg blah white guy crappy dancer…or if it provided me with my sole shining moments out on the floor ; -)

6 Likes