Squids used to have shells. Here's how they lost them.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/04/squids-used-to-have-shells-he.html

8 Likes

The Eons YouTube series is one of my favorites for short but informative bits like these

10 Likes

My daughter pointed out from one of those science posters, the ordovician, devonian etc periods.

Look daddy! there’s an octopus with a party hat.

(We were staying at Fiddle Festival where there was an annual hat day party. So we already had the idea for her hat.)

9 Likes

Clearly this proves the notion of ancient intelligent civilizations. We always think dinosaurs, but it has to have been a society of ocean going wizards centered around long lost magical technology.

And don’t get me started how this fits into the whole Cthulhu mythos.

4 Likes

Problem solved…

gif-squid-humboldt

6 Likes

Also Vampyroteuthis infernalis

3 Likes

Dawww, Vampyroteuthis.

Humboldts are big enough (and mean enough) to go after divers. If you haven’t seen it, the scene in Blue Planet (the first) is terrifying. That GIF doesn’t do justice to their speed or agility.

3 Likes

Striptease?

I’ve watched that same scene dozens of times. It’s incredible, and so intimidating all at once.

3 Likes

Don’t kid yourself, squids and octopi are just marking time until we do ourselves in so they can take their rightful place at the top of the evolutionary tower. I think they already have it all figured out.

2 Likes

Eh, I posted this in a comment, nine days ago. :wink:

1 Like

We biologists will be the key to their uprising.

8 Likes

You know, I totally thought it was because they played too much poker and lost the house.

/s

7 Likes

Unless the CS students finish the robot revolution before you finish the cephalopod one. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank god for Twitter’s Bored Elon Musk then

6 Likes

Squids used to have shells

This is often the case with molluscs.

How cute that picture. He looks like he has his ‘nighty-night’ cap on.

Yeah, we all know how Planet of the apes turned out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.