Squirting superglue into a borax solution causes quite a reaction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/29/squirting-superglue-into-a-bor.html

3 Likes

Oh those kids and their borax.

5 Likes

Borax is used as a catalyst to instantly polymerize cyanoacrylate glues. There are few other chemicals that will do that too - e.g. baking soda.

Most DIY folks know this trick, even Adam Savage was showing it on Mythbusters and in his Youtube videos few times whenever he need the glue to cure instantly.

7 Likes

This is probably going to happen to me, even if the borax and superglue are nowhere near each other, because every time I use superglue it ends in mishap.

E.g. the one time the tube burst, and it looked like I had keratin outgrowths all over my hand

10 Likes

Works well on leviathans too.

1 Like

Acrylic floor wax and vinegar do similar things. (Or did back in the day.) I’m not sure what Acrylic floor wax and borax would do. Proceed with caution.

4 Likes

Is this a video of an actual kid getting badly burned?

Pass.

3 Likes

It’s definitely cool to see that reaction happen, but the coolest thing about Borax is that a box of it will kill all the roaches in your apartment. Or the fleas on your pets.
They think the crystals react with the exoskeleton and dissolve it. Anyway, it works and it’s awesome.

3 Likes

The top video is fine, even interesting, though over-long with embedded advertising. (I didn’t watch the bottom one either.)

1 Like

No, its a video of a kid making slime and in the process getting a moderately painful chemical burn on his wrist and being a bit dramatic about it.

4 Likes

Dramatic?

e1243e4028979121c870f3955d6fba61%5B1%5D

4 Likes

“Third degree burn” used to mean something very specific. Now it just means “rad.”

5 Likes

That ad in the middle of the first video is obnoxiously long.

1 Like

It’s also good for getting rid of ants too. Can’t speak about roaches or fleas, as they’re not a problem at my place, but I’m phobic about ants. First sign of those little fuckers and borax is alllll over the place. No more ants, yay!

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.