St Louis police offer to fingerprint all the children in #Ferguson

I, on the other hand, realized that my ‘permanent record’ was something that I was trained to fear in grade school. I grew out of it and found my spine and balls eventually.

2 Likes

Considering most kidnapping victims are kidnapped by family members, the latter, decidedly.

We’d be better off fingerprinting parents.

2 Likes

Am i supposed to take your word for their word for it. Citations will be helpful. Please, take that passion for being right into research, and finish making your point. My imagination isn’t helping out by making stuff up to fill in the gaps, but if you can show that ‘they’ say that, and do that, then I would like to see what you have seen that led to your conclusion

3 Likes

note the requisite 'merican flags, implying patriotism…or something

3 Likes

Using (some admittedly dubious) statistics, the killing of an unarmed black man is six times more likely than the kidnapping of a black child. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

As an IT worker (and FWIW someone who remembers all the fun with backscatter scanners and all that other TSA fun), I’d say even if the person doing the scanning is intentionally deleting the files after they’re done with their “public service,” a dump of the hard drive is still going to have the data there.

Depending on how the files are generated in the first place, it may be super obnoxious to match them up to individual kids but that’s not what I would consider a major barrier. It’s by no means a guarantee that it will be obnoxious either (question of whether the photographic content is stored in separate files from the ID presentation file or if it’s embedded in the ID presentation file).

2 Likes

I don’t see how this helps all that much, except in identifying a child if a question of their identity arises.

I have been in a few communities that this was implemented and all of them had the parents keep the fingerprint card.

1 Like

Well, yeah, it would be nice if you took my word for it, simply ask for cites (simply), or google it yourself. I wasn’t defending a thesis here, and it’s hardly exhibiting a “passion” for being right to simply point something out in a Sunday morning comment.

Anyway, I did a search on EZ Child ID, and Police, right after reading the tweet, and most of the links explicitly stated no information is kept. Maybe it’s completely different with St. Louis, but the same program was used there, and the same methods by the pictures. Most depts that were using it said somewhere the system is designed not to retain the info.

Here’s the info about the kit from EZ Child itself:

"That is why we are pleased to offer you the nations most comprehensive digital fingerprinting child identification system. EZ Child ID has worked directly with the National MasoniCHIP foundation in developing our software. We have worked with law enforcement officials to ensure that our digital fingerprinting system is up to their standards. We have taken it one step further and included a digital fingerprint analysis software package to make sure all the necessary“points” on a fingerprint are obtained. We ensure that we capture all the vital

information required by the Amber Alert system. Unlike our competition, our system even records a digital video with voice which is saved in digital avi format. Our EZ Child ID card form includes all 10 fingerprints and is saved in the universal PDF format. The parent not only receives printed an EZ Child ID card, they also get a CD with all the information on it. This allows the parent the opportunity to reprint the EZ Child ID card and form at home if they desire. To help protect from identity theft, our software was written so that no information from the child is saved on the computer. Once you start over, all of the data is permanently erased. The parent is the only person who retains their child’s information. "

Santa Fe, Police dept. in May, Same program:

The information is uploaded to a disc and taken home. None of the data is stored at the department. If a little one went missing, the parent could email the file or drop it off to the department and it would be forwarded to officers. An Amber Alert could be issued much quicker, too.

Read more: Santa Fe police urge parents to use new EZ Child ID tool

Chandler, AZ, Police - same system

The EZ Child ID system produces a child ID card and child ID CD. In addition, it even records a digital video with voice, and it is saved in digital avi format. The EZ Child ID Software form includes all 10 fingerprints and is saved in the universal PDF format. The parent not only receives a printed EZ Child ID card and the EZ Child ID form, but they also get a CD with all the information on it. To help protect from identity theft, the EZ Child ID Software Kit was written so that no information of the child is saved on the computer. Once you start over, all of the information is erased off the EZ Child ID system. The parent is the only person who retains the data and the child id card. This is the NEW STANDARD in child identification programs! Also, the Chandler Police Department’s Crime Prevention Unit administers this program and there is no cost to the parents or child. It’s FREE!

Child Fingerprinting – Chandler Police Department

Michigan
http://www.wnem.com/story/24416657/state-police-announce-special-child-id-program

The Michigan State Police has announce the new State Police EZ Child ID program in the Tri-City area.

The EZ Child ID card program is a comprehensive digital fingerprinting child identification system where troopers capture all the vital information required by the Amber Alert system and then a child ID card and child ID CD are produced.

The information included is all ten fingerprints, four digital photographs of the child and a digital video with voice. The parent not only receives a printed Child ID card and the child ID kit form, but they also get a CD with all the information on it.

No information is saved or maintained by the Michigan State Police, all information is turned over to the parent who will retain their child’s information.

The MSP will offer this service and host three events at the State Police Post in at 2402 Salzburg Road in Freeland on Saturday, Jan. 11, Friday, Jan. 17 and Friday, Jan. 24 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

4 Likes

Um, not keeping a copy? Really? Then just fingerprint the kids the old fashioned way with ink and give the cards to the parents, but this is obviously a way of collecting their data early. Do they not need parental consent? Why would anyone do this?? Are the parents so stupid? The EFF should take a look at one of these systems…

I suspect there are advantages in missing/abducted kid cases where families don’t regularly get a camcorder or camera out. That said, until we’ve had a respected computer forensics expert audit their system, I don’t find their “don’t keep a copy” claims especially trustworthy.

2 Likes

“Okay, kid, we just need a jizzum sample and a negative result on the standard Voight-Kampff Test and you are good to go…”

I really just wanted to open the jugular, but if you prefer turning the entire head into red mist, that’s cool, too. It might serve as a more effective deterrent, too.

1 Like

Most schools fingerprint their workers, to check for criminal records. I’ve been fingerprinted half a dozen times for teaching jobs or other school posts. And I only get the kids a few hours a day.

I am imagining a box of thumbs having a featured spot in some twisted plot to turn an entire town into roving agents for a nefarious, and heavily accented villain.

Hang on . . . that was last nights TV.

A bootable linux distribution CD only a laptop with no HDD is about the only thing I would trust and even then you would be able to connect it to a network to grab the information. I went to the EZ child website and it runs on windows, I’m pretty certain I (or any other technically minded person) could gobble up the information if I wanted to… all the pictures probably go into a temporary folder and a keylogger can do the rest…

Even IF this is 100% incapable of not storing the data you only have to find the CD or paper on a warrant-less raid the police love to conduct these days and you’ll get it eventually.

Does any other country do this kind of thing? Using it as a justification to help with abductions is just ridiculous, take some polaroids and hand them out…

2 Likes

I see now, and apologize for not reading further to confirm, that the cops aren’t retaining the info.

Still, I question the efficacy of this for “keeping kids safe”. Once the parents turn the card in, the info goes into a national crime info database. The examples I’ve seen offered by those pushing it all center around the idea that the abducted child will eventually enter society again, either as a criminal (runaway turns to shoplifting) or as a non-criminal (gets a driver’s license and gets a thumbprint).

So, they have the parents create a nice package for the NSA to grab… :wink:

My daughter’s school bought, at great expense, a fingerprint id system for paying fors school meals, apparently to take away the stigma of having to hand over a card for free meals. It breaks regularly , and kids subsequently go hungry, but the coppers don’t go round enthusiastically fingerprinting everyone’s bairns, no.

1 Like

This is a joke, right?

Anyone who believes that information on citizens will not be collected without consent, stored in perpetuity and used against us is very stupid.

1 Like