Standing waves in lava on Kīlauea

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/15/standing-waves-in-lava-on-kila.html

3 Likes

Man those waves really are standing… I stared at them for 10 minutes, didnt see any movement

7 Likes

Would the lava waves please sit down!

3 Likes

When can I acquire some of this new oceanfront real estate?

2 Likes

What kind of drone is that? It sounds more like a helicopter than the high pitched wheeee of a “consumer” drone.

I’m sure some shyster will be along momentarily, sucka!

1 Like

Being from Austin, I immediately thought of this:

Standing Waves “Veritgo”

Wow Rob, I am impressed and gratified that you spelled Kīlauea correctly (with the ī)!

And here are a couple of verses of a chant that seems appropriate:

Pau Halemaʻumaʻu ē!, pau Kīlauea ē!
I ke ahi lele a ka wahine ʻai moku
ʻAʻa maka ʻana i ka hikina
Kaʻukaʻuli hele i kai ka palena o Puna ē

Ai lā ʻo Pele, e ka wahine kapu
Ke hoʻā ahi lā i uka o Puna
Pulelo mai ka ʻōhiʻa o ka lua
Nalohia nā lehua i nāhi ʻenaʻena ē

Consumed is Halemaʻumaʻu! Kīlauea!
By fire fountains of the land-eating woman
Glaring eastwardly
Hissing along to the bordering sea of Puna

There is Pele, the sacred woman
Who set ablaze the uplands of Puna
Igniting the ʻōhiʻa groves about the pit
The lehua vanish in the blazing flames

7 Likes

RIP Kapoho Tidepools.

Here are some sweet links for your Big I observations.
COMMUNITY LAVA MAP PROJECT

SO2 & Particulates Map

Another S02 map

3 Likes

The first bit - near the fountain - is a drone. The rest is a chillipopper.

1 Like

I believe that is part of the epic story where Pele sent her younger sister, Hi’iaka, to fetch a young chief she found attractive. While on the trip, Hi’iaka extracted a promise from Pele that she wouldn’t throw a tantrum and send lava to overrun her part of the island, where her friend Hopoe lived. Naturally, Pele got impatient and did just that:
“The smoke bends over Kaliu.
I thought my lehuas were tabu.
The birds of fire are eating them up.
They are picking my lehuas
Until they are gone.”

Good choice of mele!

2 Likes

Mahalo, MadLibrarian! You are right, Pele sent Hiʻiaka to fetch Lohiau, but got impatient and suspicious while Hiʻiaka was away, and began to, umm, fume.

And since you are a lover of knowledge, I hope you won’t mind some corrections to your ʻike Hawaiʻi:

The work I quoted is actually a mele, rather than an oli. Mele have instrumental accompaniment, and are danced to, whereas oli are unaccompanied chant — no instruments or hula. Also, there is no ʻokina in oli. ʻOli, with the initial ʻokina, means “happy” or “happiness”. Oʻli is both grammatically incorrect and physically impossible, since the ʻokina is a glottal stop functioning as a consonant, and can only appear between vowels (or at the beginning of a word). Sorry for the pedantry, but I feel an obligation to nā kūpuna to pick them pesky nits.

Mahalo for respecting and helping nurture indigenous culture! Mālama pono!

3 Likes

Fixed – thank you! My 'ike Hawai’i is not all that akamai :slight_smile:
It’s very painful to try and put the macron and other appropriate stops in on the fly unless you copy and paste from a source that has already done that. I had a terrible time with punctuating properly the story of Princess Ruth and her efforts to appease Pele and keep her from destroying Hilo.

Wow, if you had an asbestos kayak those waves would be a hell of a surf! Just don’t roll…

I assume you’re not using a Mac. If you were, the Hawaiian diacritics would be a breeze. (I know nothing about typing Hawaiian in Windows.) If you are on a Mac, and suffering needlessly, drop me a message and I’ll give you instructions.

Yes, regrettably, trying to punctuate Hawai’ian on a Windows machine as I go requires me to know unicode, of which I am largely ignorant.

Ah… sorry for your troubles, but mahalo for your hard work! I can save you at least a little work though; the word “Hawaiian” doesn’t need the ʻokina, because “Hawaiian” is an English word, not, well, Hawaiian.

Also, although the “true” ʻokina (modifier letter turned comma U+02BB) may require you to use unicode, there is an almost identical symbol that is often used (for convenience or because not every typeface contains the true ʻokina). That “fauxkina” is the left single quotation mark (U+2018), sometimes known as the single open quote. Hopefully, there is a simple Windows key combination for that… hopefully.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.