Star Trek: Discovery actors play D&D as a creative storytelling outlet

VERTEX: Do you use the I Ching as a plotting device in your work?

DICK: Once. I used it in The Man in the High Castle because a number of characters used it. In each case when they asked a question, I threw the coins and wrote the hexagram lines they got. That governed the direction of the book. Like in the end when Juliana Frink is deciding whether or not to tell Hawthorne Abensen that he is the target of assassins, the answer indicated that she should. Now if it had said not to tell him, I would have had her not go there. But I would not do that in any other book.

ETA: I see this was addressed days ago. I’ll leave this here for the interview link at least.

3 Likes

Oops, I said it Wright sometimes, and wrong others. (See what I did there?) Not sure if its typos or brains mixing words. Going back to fix.

I played a little GURPS back in the day, but it has been so long ago I barely remember it. I think I have a core book around here somewhere.

I like this idea.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, the only things I ever GURPed were Rift(?) and TMNT. At the time (early '90s) it seemed like a superior, more flexible take on what would become d20.

(Wrong, see below.)

But I remember seeing alternative GURPS versions of the White Wolf games and thinking that the system really wouldn’t lend itself to the different play-style those games suggested.

1 Like

OH wait, Rifts used GURPS? I played some RIFTS games, those were fun. I made a 4 armed assassin robot ala SCUD the disposable assassin. Double-Tap series.

1 Like

Sorry, those were both Palladium instead.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.