Star Wars "didn't approve, participate in or condone the inappropriate use of our characters in this manner"

I didn’t think C-3PO swung that way. But maybe he runs on AC-DC.

2 Likes

Nobody’s getting sued. As glenblank said, Disney wouldn’t be tweeting their “disapproval”. They’d have lawyers delivering subpoenas.

If Disney wanted to sue they wouldn’t have to look to find a lawyer at all. They have tons of very high powered lawyers on their payroll. And they’d make things really hard for GQ. But like I said, they have no interest in suing.

Doesn’t he get a battery charge from Luke in Ep IV, or is that just a lube bath?

Boy, this cover makes the original movies difficult to talk about without a “but not like that!”

One of the reasons you have lawyers on your payroll is to tell you not to bother taking a case.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Disneycorp owns GQ at some level. Or owns a significant number of shares in it, or vice versa. Etc. etc.

Owned by Cande Nast, which is in turn, owned by Advance.

Of course. But sometimes when you’re a multi, MULTI billion dollar company you tell your lawyers to sue their asses anyway just to make a statement knowing full well that you’re not going to win. But your legal fees are just a drop in the bucket, whereas GQ doesn’t have a fraction of your money and will spend an arm and a leg in legal costs. Sending a very distinct message to anyone else that thinks they might flippantly want to try a “parody” photo shoot with your characters.

Conde Nast seems to be doing all right for themselves. I’m willing to bet they have a pretty large pack of lawyers at their disposal. For those guys it’s just exchanging marbles at recess.

1 Like

I must have imagined all of those Star Wars burlesque shows then.

1 Like

Let us count the ways.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.