Star Wars Imperial keycaps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/13/star-wars-imperial-keycaps.html

3 Likes

Oof, want those bad but the expense is truly considerable. People pay that much for keyboard vanity?

The “escape” key should automatically dump whatever file you’re working on into the trash.

10 Likes

OH god I hope not, I use that key for a lot of stuff!

I remember getting Windows 95 and making a custom HAL 9000 theme. I had thought about doing the same for Star Wars. It would be fun if you delete something to the trash for it to say, “I don’t care what you smell, get in there.”

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll give it a go “you don’t know the glyph system of the Dark Side. I…hope you’ve got your home key positioning well and sorted…”

4 Likes

If it weren’t considerably expensive, I would totally replace the keycaps on my keyboard to further fuck with the IT people, very few of whom seem to know how to touch-type (YMMV, but around here, I’ve only found one who can actually type).

7 Likes

I sense a great disturbance in my wallet. As though hundreds of dollars cried out in terror, and were suddenly spent on nonsense.

10 Likes

Huh. It looked more like carbonite to me.

4 Likes

NO! Just…no!!!

Yes. Considering they probably dropped $100+ for the mechanical keyboard. And as an owner of a nice mechanical keyboard they are worth the money if you are typing on them every day.

7 Likes

I have a basic mechanical keyboard I but I forget that for some folks it’s a whole thing. I guess if you’ve customized all the switches and such, this kind of novelty caps are like getting a fancy paint job on your tuned-up classic car… expensive, but part of the lifestyle.

Bah, maybe I can design and make my own cheapo fake set with stickers…

4 Likes

It puts me in mind of another computer from a long time ago in a galaxy not too far away. All hail the Oric Atmos: http://www.le-grenier-informatique.fr/medias/album/piblicite-oric-atmos-svm3-1.jpg

3 Likes

A more elegant computer from a more civilized age?

6 Likes

I’m unconvinced that people were more civil - it’s just there was no easy way to hear the unfocused ramblings of strangers from the next town never mind thousands of miles away.

2 Likes

I used to think these comments were somehow ridiculous, even exaggerated—because I have used ALPS keyboards (the Apple Extended Keyboard II was my favorite, and much missed, albeit for reasons more germane than its keystroke), but I’d used/carted around a Cherry keyboard with an old SGI Indy back in the day.

But as keyboards changed—I didn’t notice it all that much—until I went back and tried a keyboard with blue Cherry switches in it last year at a geek swap meet—and I was amazed by its loudness and its clicky-ness.

We traded it for some framed art (cheap! Er, look, artists have to make up a margin somewhere), and I was now the proud owner of a secondhand mechanical keyboard which was lit up and ugly as all get out.

But how often do I really look at it, really?

So, yeah, I’ve become one of those obnoxious keyboard switch snobs you can read about on the internet.

Always said this about the Indigo 2.

2 Likes

I got a quietish model as the feel rather than noise is my love.

2 Likes

When I worked for [large software company] somebody tried to prank me by switching my M and N keys. I never noticed because I learned to type long ago in junior high on a big old heavy typewriter with blank keys.

One day my computer was having an issue and the support kid couldn’t figure out why his admin password wasn’t working. We both closely examined him trying to login and eventually figured it out.

Oh the lulz!

2 Likes

Ooh good call. I’ve been trying a couple of keyboards recently to replace my cheap and terrible Dell.

I’d completely forgotten that after getting rid of an Indy and Indigo, the only thing I kept was a keyboard. I’ll now be trying that again.

2 Likes

(I’ve got a nice mechanical keyboard at home, but honestly, decent membrane ones are fine for me)

This Starwars keyboard will go perfectly with a HP terminal with custom ROM pack:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.