Alice in Wonderland keycaps

Originally published at: Alice in Wonderland keycaps | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I like the 30%, but there’s no way I’m using it. At least it’s not an Ortho layout.

That typeface is pretty good, though.

But no enter key?! How??

I’ve been thinking about it and I kind of think it’s a focused writing device where you have the other keyboard in a drawer or whatever, or maybe it’s a “if you can make this, you can set up a heavily customized mouseless linux with tiled windowing and memorize 400 chorded keyboard shortcuts and don’t forget that to type B you tap out B in morse code with the caterpillar”

2 Likes

Speaking of Alice in Wonderland… I got lost down the rabbit hole of custom keyboards one night while browsing the Makers & Crafting section of Twitch. It amazes me how many custom keyboard and keycap builders stream nowadays. It’s actually quite calming to watch them do their thing and it has me yearning for a quality custom kb. I’ve been using a fairly cheap ($40 +/-) EagleTec mechanical kb for a few years and I instantly fell in love with the clickety clack sounds of the keys. I can’t wait to upgrade one day.

Here are some keyboard maker Twitch streams I enjoyed, if you’re interested:

User: twitch.tv/taehatypes (Taeha is known as one of the best!)
User: twitch.tv/seeyang1
User: twitch.tv/apiarykeyboards

Dog Working GIF by Jiffpom

Nice font!

The paradox with 30% keyboards (and their cousins) is that their main value is to look cool to other people, but they are only usable by someone who is never away from their desktop PC. So unless your mom is unusually impressed by small keyboards, you’re not going to realise the intended effect.

If we glide over that issue, though, it’s occurred to me that on bezel-less keyboards, you could have a second orthogonal set of switches on the top row, letting you press those keys from the top side as well as the normal way, which I think would be a more comfortable way to have a number row without modifiers.

it’s a focused writing device

Only if you want to mimic Cormac McCarthy, and ignore basic punctuation and all that nonsense.

it’s a “if you can make this, you can set up a heavily customized mouseless linux with tiled windowing and memorize 400 chorded keyboard shortcuts and don’t forget that to type B you tap out B in morse code with the caterpillar”

OK. That’s the correct answer. And now I am convinced that I need to get one, too. :wink:

I’ll check with her and get back to you.

2 Likes

… some information on what types of keyboards these fit on would have been useful in the article; I had to dig through their FAQ to find that they are just keytops for a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX (or similar) keyswitches.

Just saying. I think they are cute, but I don’t have a board they’d fit on.

Ahah! Behold "The Cormac"

3 Likes

e51eb5674451d6781de65a3056063028693e8c14_2_500x500

6 Likes

OK. You win! Or you won already three years ago! :man_shrugging:

I would propose making the comma shift-period* and have a larger space “bar”.

But, this looks actually usable for focused writing :slight_smile:

*After all he supposedly said:

I believe in periods, in capitals, in the occasional comma, and that’s it.

(Emphasis mine.)

3 Likes

All I need are some good Cherry MX keycaps for a UK keyboard (one more key, different layout) that are affordable in the UK. Ever since the great Brexit fuckup started prices have been going up, so I kept delaying on replacing them. Now all my keycaps are fading and the other person who uses this computer does hunt-and-peck typing.

If it doesn’t have a £ on the 3 key it is worthless to me.

1 Like

But no enter key?! How??

You have to use your forehead to bash all keys simultaneously. Easy!

1 Like

Like the post-Brexit £? (Brit in the EU here, still sulking).

1 Like

That’s the advantage to custom keycaps, it’ll be easy to swap out for a ₽ sign in a few years!
/s (hopefully)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.