Star Wars: Rare footage of screen tests with the unfinished droids (1976)

Originally published at: Star Wars: Rare footage of screen tests with the unfinished droids (1976) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Always wanted to know how many stills of Brigitte Helm inside ‘Futura’ from Metropolis (1927) were on the construction desk for C-3PO’s exoskeleton/costume

8 Likes

Lucas was so in over his head on this movie, luckily he had some amazing production staff to save the day.

8 Likes

its good to see some never before seen…um…footage…

6 Likes

I was wondering why the actor was wearing a diaper, then made sense seeing how cumbersome those costumes were.

You would think R2, being mechanical, would have a drain hose for … fluids …

2 Likes

I also came to comment on this: Did they just ‘upskirt’ Kenny?

Still, the last few frames of the video showing him dancing to the beat were cool. :wink:

3 Likes

“OK, these guy’s aren’t working out, get me a veteran. Is Robby The Robot working on any projects now? Get his agent on the line, we’ll do lunch.”

2 Likes

it’s interesting how some of the droids, aside from coloring, look just like they did in the movie, and Threepio is already pretty close from the get-go. Artoo went through a lot of work, for sure.

4 Likes

Okay admit it, who else was making little droid noises in their head whenever they showed any of the RC ones moving?

3 Likes

“I am fluent in over six million forms of rebellion.”

2 Likes

The drones from Silent Running (whose uncanny locomotion was provided by amputee actors) were apparently powered by Tab.

4 Likes

If you didn’t know how Hollywood works, oblivious to practical effects and all… seeing this would horrify a person.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.