Stats show Linux now a "viable" game platform

HaikuOS. Or if you are one of those retro hipsters, BeOS R5.

3 Likes

If “viable desktop platform” means “works exactly like Microsoft,” nothing will ever be good enough

2 Likes

Including Microsoft.

4 Likes

I went from DOS straight to linux because nobody was going to wrench my precious commandline from my sweaty mittens. Literally all the things people say that are bad on linux I have on windows. I guess it’s mainly just what you’re used to.

Gaming has slowly but steadily improved in the last 25 years to the point where I deleted my gaming-specific windows partition 2 years ago. Without protests from my children, even.

The main advantage windows has for computer illiterate people is it’s ubiquity. Help is easy to get, because everybody more or less knows windows.

1 Like

And except for Apple’s iOS (which is based on BSD Unix), all of the mobile/tablet OS devices are running a version of Linux.

2 Likes

Well, neither will I, but honestly, it’s getting harder and harder to get components. I imagine at some point in the near future bootloaders are going to be harshly locked down and circumvention is going to be illegal.

But we’re “power users” so to speak. People like my father and mother and brother do not use computers like we do. They have no interest in doing the things we do to or on our computers.

That’s a top pick if grunge comes back in style. 9front if beige computer towers ever make a comeback.

1 Like

If a distro I’m using starts working “exactly like Microsoft” I will be changing distros immediately!

3 Likes

Nah. If you look in the right places, open hardware is getting easier to come by, not harder.

Fuck Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, and Facebook (…er, Meta).

2 Likes

I’ve started catching up on nintendo games and bought a WiiU. I was able to pirate everything good they’ve put out right up to the switch and they’re probably going to close up their store in 2022 so that means I’ll never have to worry about them trying to stop me. Can play them on my TV or on the handheld.

Like 40 of their best games going back to mario. All free. Really a good deal depending on who you are.

FPGA and ARM are going mainstream I think we’re coming up on some sort of computing golden era where people run all sorts of wacky shit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.